Suspected US airstrike kills three in Pakistan (Lead)April 19th, 2009 - 2:24 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, April 19 (DPA) A suspected US missile strike in Pakistan’s troubled South Waziristan tribal district near Afghan border Sunday killed at least three people, an intelligence official said.
Missiles believed to have been fired from a US-operated Predator drone hit a suspected militant hideout in Gangikhel village, just outside the district’s main town of Wana.
“Information reaching us is sketchy, but three people have been confirmed dead,” the official said on condition of anonymity. Several more people were also wounded in the attack, he added.
Identities of those killed were not known immediately as armed militants cordoned off the area after the blast.
Private television channels put the death toll as high as seven while citing unnamed sources.
South Waziristan is the stronghold of top militant commander Baitullah Mehsud, who is blamed for a series of bombings on security forces and government functionaries.
The US has intensified its missile strikes by pilotless aircraft in recent months, saying militant sanctuaries in Pakistan’s tribal region must be eliminated to control the Taliban insurgency in Afghanistan.
- Suspected US airstrike in Pakistan kills three (Second Lead) - Apr 19, 2009
- Five militants killed in US drone attack in South Waziristan - Feb 21, 2011
- Drone strike kills eight in Pakistan - Jun 27, 2011
- Five killed in Pakistan drone strike - Jun 04, 2011
- 10 killed in Pakistan drone strike (Lead) - Jun 03, 2012
- Top Al Qaeda leader killed in US drone attack (Lead) - Nov 20, 2010
- US drone attack in Pakistan kills five - May 09, 2009
- US drone attacks kill six in Pakistan - Feb 24, 2011
- Pakistani jets hit Taliban targets, kill 10 - Oct 14, 2009
- Drone attack kills six in Pakistan (Lead) - Nov 21, 2010
- US drone strikes kill 13 in Pakistan - Nov 07, 2010
- 10 killed in Pakistan drone strike - May 24, 2012
- 26 killed in two drone strikes in Pakistan (Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- US drone kills four in Pakistan - May 26, 2012
- Drone strike kills three in Pakistan - Nov 19, 2010
Tags: afghan border, anonymity, bombings, death toll, hideout, insurgency, intelligence official, least three people, missile strike, missile strikes, missiles, predator drone, private television, sanctuaries, security forces, south waziristan, stronghold, taliban, television channels, unnamed sources