Suspected Maoists torch gram panchayat in MaharashtraMay 16th, 2012 - 10:27 pm ICT by IANS
Gondia (Maharashtra), May 16 (IANS) A gram panchayat building was burnt down by suspected Maoists in the remote village of Toyagondi in Gondia district in eastern Maharashtra, police said here Wednesday.
“The gram panchayat building was burnt down and a cabin of BSNL (Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd.) tower was destroyed late Tuesday night,” an official from Salekasa police station, under whose jurisdiction Toyagondi falls, told IANS.
While sources said it was the handiwork of Maoists hours ahead of Wednesday’s nationwide strike called by them, police said they were investigating to ascertain if Maoists were responsible for the incident.
Sources said that a group of armed Maoists first vandalised the gram panchayat building and later set it ablaze.
Handwritten pamphlets were also stuck on trees, electric polls and several other spots, asking people to support the Maoist shutdown to make it successful.
Toyagondi is around 60 km from the district headquarters of Gondia in the Vidarbha region of the state.
- Maoists blast school building in Bihar's Gaya District - Mar 16, 2011
- 112 government websites hacked in three months: Pilot - Mar 15, 2012
- Maoists destroy mobile tower in Bihar's Gaya District - Mar 15, 2011
- Telecom links snapped in high-security Srinagar neighbourhood - Mar 30, 2012
- BSNL not involved in 2G scam: Minister - Sep 07, 2011
- Private telcos owe BSNL Rs.550.88 crore - May 02, 2012
- Maoists torch Odisha mobile phone towers' equipment - Dec 17, 2011
- Maoists blast bridge, torch trucks in Bihar - Mar 23, 2012
- Satellite phones to help Bihar fight Maoists, floods - Apr 23, 2012
- Maoists attack panchayat office in Bengal - Nov 19, 2010
- Maharashtra demands central aid to modernize police force - Feb 01, 2011
- Maoist hotbed Bastar gets 3G coverage - Oct 23, 2010
- Chidambaram visits Gadchiroli, reviews anti-naxal operations - Dec 28, 2010
- Maoists shoot truck driver's assistant, blow up school (Lead) - Feb 25, 2010
- Fresh violence in Assam, curfew imposed - Aug 16, 2012
Tags: bharat sanchar nigam, bharat sanchar nigam ltd, district headquarters, gondia, gram panchayat, handiwork, jurisdiction, maharashtra police, maoist, maoists, pamphlets, police station, polls, torch, trees, tuesday night, vidarbha region