Suspected Maoists fire at railway police personnel, four injuredFebruary 25th, 2009 - 8:21 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 25 (IANS) Four Railway Protection Force (RPF) personnel were injured, one of them seriously, when suspected Maoists fired at them at a railway station in West Bengal’s Purulia district, officials said Wednesday.
State Inspector General of Police (Law and Order) Raj Kanojia said the Maoists sprayed bullets when the RPF personnel were boarding the Subarnarekha Express at Barbhum railway station in Purulia, about 200 km from here.
“The RPF personnel had come to West Bengal from Jharkhand to disburse salary to their staff. The Maoists attacked them when they were returning to Jharkhand after distributing the money,” Kanojia said.
Before fleeing, the rebels snatched the weapons of the RPF men.
The police have launched a search in the area, which is near the West Bengal-Jharkhand border, to nab the culprits.
“It appears they came from Jharkhand, and have retreated after the attack,” Kanojia said.
- Maoist strategist held in Bengal (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Women Maoist cadres surrender in Bengal - Jul 30, 2012
- Maoist strategist held in Bengal (Third Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Huge cache of arms, explosives seized in West Bengal - Dec 12, 2010
- Railway cop killed in Maoist blast - Jun 20, 2011
- Bomb scare disrupts train services in West Bengal - Sep 20, 2010
- High alert in West Bengal's Maoist-hit districts - Jul 06, 2010
- 2 Maoists held, arms and ammunition seized in Bengal (Lead) - Feb 18, 2011
- Maoists gun down two, try to blast railway station - Dec 11, 2010
- Six Maoists arrested in West Bengal - Sep 28, 2010
- Rail traffic affected in three states due to Maoists shutdown call - Apr 26, 2010
- West Bengal to continue offensive against Maoists, 25 dead (Roundup) - Feb 16, 2010
- Two women help arrest four criminals in Lucknow - Mar 01, 2012
- Lawmakers' panel livid at lack of security in railways - Aug 29, 2010
- Maoists shoot at Class 10 student in West Bengal - Oct 24, 2010
Tags: bullets, culprits, district officials, jharkhand, law and order, maoists, money, police law, purulia, railway police, railway station, rebels, rpf, salary, state inspector general, weapons, west bengal