Suspected Al-Qaeda members held in SpainAugust 2nd, 2012 - 11:58 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Aug 2 (IANS/RIA Novosti) At least three suspected members of the Al Qaeda terrorist group have been arrested and explosives and poisonous substances that could be used in terrorist attacks recovered from them by the Spanish police, according to Spain’s interior ministry.
The arrests were made Wednesday.
Police believe the suspects - two Chechens and a Turk - may have been planning “to commit terrorist acts in Spain”. The Turk was arrested in the La Linea town, while the other suspects were picked up from the central town of Ciudad Real.
The two Chechens were taking a bus from southern Cadiz to the northern town of Irun and could have been heading to France, Spanish Interior Minister Jorge Fernandez Diaz told reporters Thursday. The two had been in Spain for around two months.
The minister said that enough explosive material was found in the house in La Linea to blow up a bus, and the substance could be especially dangerous if combined with shrapnel.
The arrests were made in an operation performed jointly with the intelligence services of Spain’s allies.
- Al Qaeda planned to attack Gibraltar during Olympics - Aug 06, 2012
- Putin unaffected by assassination plot - Feb 28, 2012
- Five die as police chase suspect in Kazakhstan - Nov 12, 2011
- Blast rips through Nigerian church on Christmas - Dec 25, 2011
- Ukraine to extradite Putin death plot suspect - Aug 24, 2012
- Russian suicide attacker dies as bomb explodes prematurely - Apr 11, 2011
- Iran rejects Israeli accusations over Bulgaria blast - Jul 19, 2012
- Bomber held in Georgia - May 05, 2012
- Spain marks bicentennial of its first constitution - Mar 20, 2012
- Ukraine to extradite Putin murder plotter - Aug 15, 2012
- Four killed in Russian chopper crash - Jul 05, 2012
- Policeman killed in Chechnya car bombing - Sep 07, 2012
- Norway killing suspect may get 21 years in jail (Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- Egyptian prosecutors question Mubarak's sons - Apr 18, 2011
- Russia's Chechnya, Ingushetia involved in land grabbing row - Aug 27, 2012
Tags: aug 2, cadiz, chechens, ciudad real, explosive material, explosives, fernandez diaz, intelligence services, interior minister, interior ministry, irun, jorge fernandez, la linea, poisonous substances, ria novosti, shrapnel, spanish police, terrorist acts, terrorist group, vm