Surrender of Osama only possible if he was naked, says US officialMay 4th, 2011 - 4:50 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, May 4 (ANI): A senior congressional aide has revealed that Al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden would have been allowed to surrender only if he was naked.
Briefing media on the rules of engagement applied by the US Navy Seals, the aide said: “He would have had to have been naked for them to allow him to surrender.”
According to the Los Angeles Times, the American operatives had orders to capture Bin Laden if he gave himself up. The assault force, however, was told to accept a surrender only if it could be sure he didn’t have a bomb hidden under his clothing and posed no other danger.
The paper quoted White House counter-terrorism chief John Brennan as telling Fox television that if U.S. troops “were confident that Bin Laden did not pose any type of threat whatsoever, in terms of his not having an IED [improvised explosives device] on his body, his not having some type of hidden weapon or whatever, a surrender would have been acceptable.
The surrender issue was one of several on which administration officials shifted ground.
White House, spokesman Jay Carney said that at the time of his killing, bin Laden was unarmed.
“In the room with Bin Laden, a woman - Bin Laden’s wife - rushed the U.S. assaulter and was shot in the leg, but not killed,” Carney said. “Bin Laden was then shot and killed. He was not armed.”
CIA Director Leon E. Panetta said in an interview on PBS television Tuesday that he did not believe Bin Laden had a chance to speak before he was shot in the face and killed.
Officials have strongly defended the decision to shoot. (ANI)
- Only a naked Osama would have been spared the bullet - May 05, 2011
- Obama, others' went through 'anxiety-filled periods' watching Osama getting killed - May 03, 2011
- US revises story of Osama's killing; says he was not armed - May 04, 2011
- Geronimo EKA: Magic words that Obama was waiting to hear - May 03, 2011
- Osama was unarmed but killed as he resisted, says US (Lead) - May 04, 2011
- Bin-Laden's 12-year-old daughter saw father being shot - May 04, 2011
- Obama didn't see bin-Laden die: CIA Director Panetta - May 04, 2011
- Sharing intel with ISI would have jeopardised 'Operation Geronimo': CIA chief - May 04, 2011
- US Senate panel cuts Pakistan aid over doctor's jailing - May 25, 2012
- When 'Geronimo EKIA' meant: 'We got him' (Lead) - May 03, 2011
- US would have captured Osama alive if possible: White House - May 03, 2011
- White House backtracks, admits Osama was 'unarmed' when killed by US troops - May 04, 2011
- Osama bin Laden's photo to be published: CIA chief - May 04, 2011
- US says it didn't have communications with Pak intelligence about Operation Geronimo - May 04, 2011
- Osama would have been taken alive if he had surrendered: White House - May 05, 2011
Tags: administration officials, assault force, carney, chief john, cia director, congressional aide, counter terrorism, explosives, fox television, hidden weapon, john brennan, los angeles times, operatives, osama bin laden, panetta, pbs television, rules of engagement, surrender, us navy, white house spokesman