Superlative Villa puts Valencia on top in SpainSeptember 26th, 2008 - 1:47 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Sep 26 (DPA) Valencia battled their way to the top of the Spanish Liga Thursday with a late 2-0 win away to lowly Malaga.Valencia’s hero was Euro 2008 top scorer David Villa, who put away both late goals.
Valencia are now level with Villarreal - 2-0 winners over Racing Santander Wednesday - on 10 points from four games, though with a better goal difference.
“It doesn’t mean much to be top now because this has only just started,” said Villa,
However, the Spain striker did concede that “we are looking better than last season, and are getting some very good results”.
Valencia have that old mean look about them again, the look of a team solid in defence and patient enough to wait for their chance on the break.
Villa’s first goal came just when hapless Malaga - second from bottom with just one point - were starting to create chances.
Nineteen minutes from time young Juan Mata broke down the right and centred for Villa to break the deadlock with a brave header.
Veteran Malaga sub Salva Ballesta was sent off for an ugly foul on Edu. In injury time Villa picked his way through the flat local defence and calmly made it 2-0.
Valencia, who finished 10th last season, will stay top if they manage to beat Deportivo Coruna at home Sunday.
One point behind Valencia and Villarreal are Madrid rivals Real and Atletico, who beat Sporting Gijon and Getafe Wednesday.
Sevilla are in fourth place with eight points, following their 2-0 defeat of Espanyol on Wednesday.
Barcelona, 3-2 winners over Betis Wednesday, are sixth with seven points.
In Thursday’s other games, Mallorca beat Numancia 2-0, Valladolid overcame Almeria 1-0, and Athletic Bilbao battled out a 1-1 draw in Huelva.
- Deportivo return to Spanish top flight - May 28, 2012
- Valencia cruise up to joint fourth in La Liga - Oct 26, 2009
- Malaga joint fifth with Valencia in Spanish football league - Feb 23, 2009
- Impressive Valencia stay third, solid Mallorca retake fourth - Jan 18, 2010
- Sevilla recover third place on comeback win over Villarreal - Nov 09, 2009
- Real Madrid stay second, Valencia move up to fourth - Apr 13, 2009
- Mallorca ahead of Sevilla in battle for fourth place - Feb 08, 2010
- Valencia third after dramatic late win in Bilbao - Dec 07, 2009
- Valencia thrashed by Espanyol; Atletico Madrid beat Betis - May 04, 2009
- Real Madrid held by Osasuna, stay in second place - Jan 04, 2010
- Bad Sunday in Spanish football for Barcelona, Villarreal, Valencia - Mar 02, 2009
- Barcelona beaten by Mallorca, Atletico fourth in Spanish League - May 18, 2009
- Sevilla stay third; Malaga, Deportivo move up to fifth - Mar 09, 2009
- Real Madrid hoping for Barcelona slip against Sevilla - Apr 20, 2009
- Atletico Madrid finish fourth, Villarreal fifth, Valencia sixth - May 31, 2009