Super Kings clear semi-final hurdle for Chargers, Bangalore (Lead)May 21st, 2009 - 2:15 am ICT by IANS
Durban, May 20 (IANS) Chennai Super Kings have done a good turn to Deccan Chargers and Bangalore Royal Challengers, taking them along into the semi-finals of the Indian Premier League (IPL) by beating Kings XI Punjab by 24 runs in a low-soring game here Wednesday.
Earlier, reigning champions Rajasthan Royals went out of the reckoning when they lost to Kolkata Knight Riders by four wickets in another decisive game of small scores. Royals needed to beat Knight Riders to stay in contention.
Delhi Daredevils were the earliest to qualify for the knock-out stage as table toppers. Chennai Super Kings, even if they had lost to Kings XI Punjab, would have reached the last four with 15 points. They increased their points to 17 after the victory and finished as the second team in the standings.
Both Bangalore Royal Challengers and Deccan Chargers have 14 points each and are respectively at third and fourth place in the standings on account of their net run-rates. Chargers is way ahead in the net run-rate (0+.265) and are through to the last four even if they lose Thursday.
Kings XI Punjab, who remained at at fifth place with 14 points, have only a mathematical chance of making the last four - if Bangalore Royal Challengers lose by a big margin and their net run-rate drops behind Punjab.
The net run-rate of Royal Challengers and Kings XI Punjab are 0-.253 and 0-.483 respectively and the former has to perform very badly to allow Kings XI a semifinal berth.
In the semifinal, Delhi Daredevils will play Thursday’s losing team while Chennai Super Kings will take on the winners.
In another match Thursday. Daredevils will play Mumbai Indians in an inconsequential tie.
For the record, Kings XI Punjab could manage ony 92/8 to Super Kings’ 116/9, while Rajasthan Royals found their 101 being easily overtaken by Knight Riders’ 102/6.
- Super Kings to start IPL title defence against Mumbai Indians - Jan 06, 2012
- IPL-IV: 74 matches played over 51 days (Schedule) - Apr 06, 2011
- Can Kings XI Punjab make IPL play-offs? - May 16, 2011
- Daredevils aim to again top the table (Preview) - May 09, 2012
- Kings XI Punjab take on Deccan Chargers in a must-win game - May 20, 2011
- List of players sold in IPL auction-5 - Feb 04, 2012
- Super Kings snap Jadeja for $2 m, Vinay Kumar goes for $1 m(Lead) - Feb 04, 2012
- Deccan Chargers knock Kings XI Punjab out of IPL (Lead) - May 21, 2011
- IPL-4 auction: Gambhir top grosser; No takers for Lara, Ganguly (Lead) - Jan 08, 2011
- Christian tops list on day two of IPL auction (Lead) - Jan 09, 2011
- Promising domestic players are excelling in IPL - May 05, 2012
- Indian Premier League Points Tally - May 22, 2009
- Jadeja, Vinay Kumar, Jayawardene top draws at IPL auction (Second Lead) - Feb 04, 2012
- RCB desperate to return to winning streak - May 05, 2012
- Gilchrist still doubtful for Tuesday's match - May 07, 2012
Tags: challengers, chargers, contention, daredevils, decisive game, four wickets, hurdle, indians, ipl, knight riders, knock out, losing team, match, mathematical chance, premier league, punjab, semi finals, semifinal berth, table toppers, victory