Super fit cop outruns teenager after brawlSeptember 19th, 2010 - 1:28 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 19 (IANS) A Briton who taunted a policeman and then ran away after a brawl got more than he bargained for as the official was an endurance sportsman who easily outran the stunned teenager.
The teenager didn’t have the faintest clue that the policeman was one of the fittest men on the planet and he didn’t have a remote chance of escaping from him, Daily Express reported Sunday.
Acting Sergeant Simon Bourne, 46, is an endurance sportsman and one of a handful of athletes who have been selected to take part in the Ultraman Challenge in Hawaii. He will have to undertake a six-mile ocean swim, a 260-mile bike race and a double marathon — all that in less than 36 hours.
Bourne trains police officers in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.
“I was with a trainee late on a Friday night when we were confronted by about 50 drunks out for trouble. When reinforcements arrived we went to arrest the ringleader but he sprinted off. It was quite easy to keep up with him even though I had my uniform on and all the kit I carry.
“He obviously thought he could out-run me but there was no way that was going to happen. He looked pretty upset when I overtook him within a mile,” Bourne was quoted as saying.
He added that his friends call him Robocop.
“I admit I am pretty fanatical about my training regime. Sometimes it is like being in a trance and it becomes a mental challenge. You just have to push your body beyond normal limitations.
“But I love it and training is never a chore - I am never happier than when I am on my own swimming, running or on the bike.”
Bourne trains by swimming 10 miles along a river several times a week, running a full marathon and cycling for up to 150 miles at a stretch.
- Super-fit Brit businessman, 50, will run 66 ultra-marathons in 66 days - Apr 20, 2011
- Olympics: Uganda celebrates first gold after 40 years - Aug 13, 2012
- Fauja Singh calls it a day-only for full marathons! - Apr 23, 2012
- India's Ashis Roy completes 104th marathon - Jun 06, 2010
- Joel Edgerton considered for next 'Bourne' film - Apr 23, 2011
- At 100, Sikh marathoner yearns to read biography (With Image) - Jul 08, 2011
- Longoria opens about ex-husband - May 16, 2012
- India's Ashis Roy, 78, completes 106th marathon - Sep 13, 2010
- Wet floor foils Aussie streaker's European tour - Dec 05, 2010
- 2009 Ford Ironman Louisville Witnesses Flocks Of Athlete - Aug 31, 2009
- Stefaan Engels 365 Runs Marathons in 365 Days - Feb 12, 2011
- Israeli chess champ takes world record from Iran with 19-hour match - Oct 22, 2010
- Joy ride on a toy bike that you just can't miss (Features, with Image) - Jul 08, 2011
- Ex-Brit soldier breaks marathon world record - Aug 06, 2010
- American braves sharks to swim from Cuba to Florida - Aug 20, 2012
Tags: briton, bury st edmunds, bury st edmunds suffolk, clue, drunks, endurance, friday night, handful, marathon, mental challenge, mile bike race, mile ocean, police officers, policeman, reinforcements, ringleader, robocop, sergeant, simon bourne, sportsman