Sunderland face relegation after loss to PortsmouthMay 19th, 2009 - 2:55 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 19 (DPA) Sunderland are in danger of being relegated from the English Premier League after they were beaten 3-1 Monday at Portsmouth.
Kenwyne Jones put Sunderland ahead until John Utaka, an own goal by Phil Bardsley and a late strike from Armand Traore gave Portsmouth the win and left Sunderland deep in the mire.
Ricky Sbragia’s Sunderland side remain just two points ahead of the bottom three and with one game remaining - at home to Chelsea - wins for Hull City and Newcastle United Sunday could send them down to the Coca-Cola Championship.
“We knew in the second half they’d push onto us and close us down,” Sbragia said.
“But we got off to a good start. Kenwyne scored, and from then on we should have been a bit more confident and bossed the game. We kept the lead for two minutes, and that’s not acceptable. The second goal was a bad mistake by Anton (Ferdinand). He switched off. I would imagine he should have just put his foot through it and helped it on.”
Victory would have made Sunderland safe, and things looked good when centre back Calum Davenport broke out of defence, ran down the right and sent in a great cross that Jones toe-poked home in the 59th minute.
But their joy lasted just one minute, until Grant Leadbitter inadvertently headed the ball into the path of Utaka, who out-muscled the Sunderland defence to level the score with his first goal of the season.
Eight minutes later, a disastrous piece of defending from Ferdinand, who let a long ball go through his legs, left Utaka clean through, and after he took the ball around the goalkeeper, Bardsley slid in to clear but only succeeded in putting the ball into his own net.
Jones missed a great chance to equalise for Sunderland, and with two minutes remaining a crisp Portsmouth move found Traore inside the box, and he fired a left-footed shot to seal the victory for Portsmouth.
- Netherlands leads Uruguay 3-1 as end nears - Jul 07, 2010
- Sunderland sign Davenport on loan - Feb 03, 2009
- Anzhi grab narrow win over AZ - Aug 24, 2012
- Chelsea stun Barcelona at home in Champions League - Apr 19, 2012
- Dutch reach World Cup final after 3-2 win over Uruguay - Jul 07, 2010
- Drogba strikes to keep Chelsea dream alive - Mar 04, 2009
- Arsenal thrash Spurs to reclaim EPL fourth spot - Feb 26, 2012
- Euro 2012: France get quarterfinal with 2-0 Sweden loss - Jun 20, 2012
- Odafa rescues Mohun Bagan again in I-League - Feb 11, 2012
- Federation Cup: Mohun Bagan bow out, Wahingdoh upset Churchill - Sep 20, 2011
- Euro 2012: Welbeck flick gives England 3-2 win over Sweden (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Euro 2012: Polish blast blows Group A wide open - Jun 13, 2012
- Fabregas grabs 1-1 draw for Spain against Italy - Jun 11, 2012
- Euro 2012: Torres on song as Spain knock out Ireland - Jun 15, 2012
- Robben's brace gives Holland 3-2 win over England - Mar 01, 2012
Tags: 59th minute, anton ferdinand, bad mistake, calum davenport, coca cola, coca cola championship, dpa, english premier league, hull city, john utaka, kenwyne jones, legs, newcastle united, phil bardsley, portsmouth, relegation, ricky, second half, traore, two minutes