Sultan of Brunei’s spending habits revealedNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:53 am ICT by admin
Court papers revealed that 61-year-old Bolkiah paid 1.26 million pounds to his badminton coach, and 1.25 million pounds for acupuncture and massage.
He even spent nearly 50,000 pounds on guards for his collection of exotic birds.
His five-strong PR team collected a total of 29.3 million pounds. And two housekeepers were each paid around 7 million pounds.
The eye-popping figures were exposed during a bitter legal battle with his brother Prince Jefri.
The 50-page list of payments - which totals 19.5 billion pounds - also reveals that over four years nearly 4 billion pounds of state funds was paid into his account to bankroll his lifestyle. That’s more than oil-rich Brunei’s entire GDP.
But what a lifestyle. He is believed to own a fleet of 5,000 luxury and sports cars and his own private Boeing 747-400 worth 115 million pounds.
He shares a 1,788-room palace with Queen Pengiran Anak Hajah Saleh, who he married in 1965, and HRH Pengiran Isteri Azrinaz Mazhar, 29, who he married in 2005. The family also has lavish homes in London, Los Angeles, New York and Paris.
Details of the father-of-11’s finances have become public thanks to the most expensive family feud in legal history.
The Sultan, who has ruled as absolute monarch for 40 years, and his brother have been embroiled in a legal battle for 10 years. Lawyers’ bills alone stretch to 200 million pounds.
The Sultan claims his younger brother siphoned off 8 billion pounds during 13 years as finance minister and is now claiming the prince has failed to repay the 3 billionn which was agreed in an out-of-court settlement back in 2000.
The prince, on the other hand, is appealing the embezzlement allegations and maintains the Sultan has reneged on a deal over which assets he could keep. He also reckons he can never receive a fair trial in Brunei.
The Sultan, a Sandhurst graduate, has rewritten his country’s constitution to say: “His Majesty the Sultan… can do no wrong in his personal or any official capacity.”
It also warns against taking the Sultan’s name in vain in any court.
Brunei was ruled by Britain before gaining independence in 1984, and The Privy Council - which sits in Downing Street - is still the superior court and will rule on the row later this month.
ere is a list of how the world’s richest man spends his cash
1,788-room palace, six-star hotel, climate controlled stables for his 200 polo ponies, five aircraft hangars to house his 5,000 cars, a theme park million pounds
What Michael Jackson was reportedly paid to attend the 25th birthday party of Prince Azim earlier this year
STAFF WAGE BILL
- Playboy prince squanders $60mn on litigation case worth only $7mn! - Nov 09, 2010
- Brunei considering India's demand for natural gas - Sep 26, 2011
- Jury will not see pics of sex statues in Prince of Brunei lawsuit - Nov 10, 2010
- Saudi defence minister dead (Lead) - Oct 22, 2011
- Sultan of Brunei's brother fights to keep sex statue pics out of NY trial - Nov 04, 2010
- Princess Di's family to occupy front row at Wills-Kate wedding - Apr 24, 2011
- Court rejects Oz woman's claim for $278k a month in divorce settlement - Jun 11, 2010
- Saudi prince's funeral to be held in Mecca - Jun 17, 2012
- Prince Andrew's marital home bought with laundered money from Kazakh scam? - Sep 06, 2010
- Prince Andrew engulfed in new 'cash-for-favours' row - Mar 13, 2011
- Queen Elizabeth keeps finances secret - May 06, 2012
- Saudi King Abdullah names Prince Salman crown prince - Jun 20, 2012
- Radcliffe, Watson, make it to top 20 young millionaires list - Apr 25, 2010
- Saudi prince's funeral services held in Mecca (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Saudi crown prince passes away in Geneva (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: absolute monarch, also reveals that, boeing 747 400, bolkiah, brother, court settlement, exotic birds, family feud, housekeepers, hrh, legal history, Life Style, mazhar, pr team, prince jefri, public thanks, reneged, spending habits, sultan of brunei