Suicide bombings kill at least ten people in central IraqJanuary 20th, 2011 - 1:57 am ICT by BNO News
DIYALA, IRAQ (BNO NEWS) — Two suicide car bomb attacks on Wednesday killed at least 10 people in central Iraq within hours of each other, Aswat al-Iraq news agency reported.
The two suicide bombings took place in Diyala governorate. The first attack took place in Baaquba, the capital of Diyala, approximately 57 kilometers northeast of Baghdad. The attack targeted a police compound.
A suicide bomber detonated a vehicle which was packed with explosives at a police compound in Baaquba al-Jadieda neighborhood. Three people died at the scene and later on five more died due to the wounds sustained.
In addition at least 55 people were injured in the suicide attack which was perpetrated using an ambulance. Security forces cordoned off the scene and carried the wounded to a nearby hospital for treatment. This was the second terrorist attack targeting Iraq’s security forces.
Hours later, a second suicide bombing took place in a road between Diyala and Baghdad. The terror plot targeted visitors heading to Karbala to commemorate the Arbaeen visit in al-Kasrien region.
A vehicle loaded with explosives was detonated by the suicide bomber and thus causing the death of two civilians and injuring at least 15 other Shiite visitors. The deputy chairman of the Diyala council Sadeq al-Husseini was among the casualties.
The Arbaeen is a religious celebration marking the 40th day after the death of Imam al-Hussein, the Prophet Muhammad’s grandson and the third holiest figure for Shiite Muslims.
On Tuesday, a suicide bomber killed at least 54 people and injured 150 others at a police recruiting center in Tikrit, northern Iraq. Most of the victims were police officers or police recruits.
- Car bombs rock Iraqi city of Karbala, 12 dead, 150 wounded - Jan 24, 2011
- 60 dead in attack on Iraqi Shias, bombings (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Twelve dead in two bomb blasts in northern Iraq - Apr 29, 2011
- Suicide bomber kills 53 in Iraq - Jan 15, 2012
- 52 killed in series of attacks across Iraq - Sep 09, 2012
- Iraq official survives bomb attack - Apr 22, 2012
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
- Five killed in Iraq violence - May 24, 2012
- 50 killed in Iraq suicide bombing (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- 10 killed, 70 injured in bomb attacks in Iraq - Jul 16, 2011
- 11 soldiers killed in Iraq car bombing - Mar 14, 2011
- 2 killed, 16 injured in attacks in Iraq - Nov 13, 2011
- 30 wounded in Iraq bombings - Sep 09, 2012
- Nine killed in Iraq attacks - Apr 19, 2012
- 12 killed in Baghdad bombings - Jul 31, 2012
Tags: aswat al iraq, bomb attacks, car bomb, central iraq, diyala iraq, husseini, imam al hussein, iraq news, nearby hospital, northern iraq, police compound, police recruits, prophet muhammad, religious celebration, sadeq, shiite muslims, suicide attack, suicide bomber, suicide bombings, terror plot