Suicide bombing kills at least 40 in Iraq (Third lead)February 13th, 2009 - 9:02 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Feb 13 (DPA) A woman in the Iraqi town of Iskandariyah killed at least 40 people and left wounded at least 83 more, mostly women and children, when she detonated explosives strapped to her body Friday, the police said.
According to the police, the woman concealed the explosives under her abaya, a long, traditional gown, and infiltrated a crowd of women and children on pilgrimage to Karbala, some 60 km south of Baghdad.
Ambulances and police teams quickly rushed to the scene, and soldiers sealed off the area, the official said, adding that casualty figures could rise throughout the day.
Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, Iraq’s most senior Shia cleric, Friday condemned the string of recent attacks on pilgrims making their way to Karbala to commemorate the death of the Prophet Mohammed’s grandson, Hussein, at the Battle of Karbala in 680 A.D.
The Friday attack followed another bomb targeting pilgrims that killed at least 10 people in Karbala Thursday. At least 56 people were injured in the blast, many of them critically, hospital workers said.
At a press conference Friday, the governor of Karbala, Aqil al-Khazali, hinted that investigators had identified the culprit in Thursday’s bombing.
“We have secret information about the involvement of some bodies in the explosion that took place on Thursday,” al-Khazali told reporters, without elaborating.
Hundreds of thousands of Shia walk to his shrine in Karbala, 130 km south of Baghdad, over the course of the “Arbaine”, or 40 days of mourning, every year, in a ritual that will reach its conclusion Monday.
On Friday, authorities in Karbala said some 125,000 pilgrims had already arrived. Security is tight for the event, with soldiers deployed around the area’s holy sites.
- 60 dead in attack on Iraqi Shias, bombings (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Suicide bomber kills 53 in Iraq - Jan 15, 2012
- 50 killed in Iraq suicide bombing (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- Three die, 30 hurt in Iraq bombings - Dec 12, 2010
- 25 pilgrims killed in Iraq bombings (Second Lead) - Feb 04, 2010
- Suicide bomber kills 41 pilgrims in Iraq (Lead) - Feb 01, 2010
- 10 killed, 70 injured in bomb attacks in Iraq - Jul 16, 2011
- 42 killed, 100 injured in attacks in Karbala (Second lead, changing dateline) - Feb 06, 2010
- 55 killed, 126 injured in Iraq attacks (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Car bombings kill two in Iraq holy city - Jul 16, 2011
- UN envoy survives Iraq bomb attack - Oct 20, 2010
- 20 killed, 75 injured in Iraq blasts - Feb 05, 2010
- 47 killed in Iraq car bombings - Jun 13, 2012
- 27 killed, 75 injured in Iraq bombings (Lead, changing dateline) - Feb 05, 2010
- Four killed in Iraq twin bombing - Mar 29, 2010
Tags: abaya, ali al sistani, ambulances, aqil, battle of karbala, casualty figures, cleric, culprit, death of the prophet, explosives, grand ayatollah ali al sistani, hundreds of thousands, iskandariyah, pilgrimage, pilgrims, police teams, prophet mohammed, secret information, shia, traditional gown