Suicide bombing kills 8 policemen in Afghanistan (Lead)March 16th, 2009 - 2:54 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, March 16 (Xinhua) At least eight policemen were killed and 22 injured Monday in a suicide bombing in southern Afghanistan, authorities said.
“So far the bodies of eight policemen and 22 injured men, including civilians, have been taken to hospital in Lashkar city,” said Anayatullah, director of the Public Health Department in Helmand province.
A man with an explosive device tied to his body blew himself up at the front gate of the police department in Lashkar Gah at around 10 a.m. (0530 GMT), said Kamaludin Khan, a police officer.
Though no group has claimed responsibility for the attack, Taliban outfits often carry out such offensives.
Similar suicide bombing in Afghan capital city Kabul Sunday claimed the lives of two civilians and wounded 14.
The suicide attack targeted the police department in Lashkar Gha district, capital city of Helmand province in southern Afghanistan, said Daud Ahmadi, the provincial administration spokesman.
Taliban insurgents who staged a violent comeback four years ago have vowed to speed up activities mostly in the shape of suicide attacks and roadside bombings in Afghanistan.
- Suicide bombing rocks Afghanistan city - Sep 27, 2011
- Four killed, 31 hurt in Afghan car bombing (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Two kids killed in Afghan bombing - Apr 12, 2012
- Car bombing rocks Afghan city - Jan 26, 2012
- 19 killed in Afghanistan roadside blast - Dec 07, 2011
- 10 policemen die in Afghan car bombing - Jul 31, 2011
- 5 policemen killed in suicide bombing in Afghanistan - Mar 16, 2009
- 22 Taliban, five cops killed in Afghan attack - Jul 08, 2012
- 10 killed in Afghan roadside bombing - Dec 29, 2011
- Two policemen among 12 killed in Afghan clash - Jan 19, 2012
- Bicycle bomb kills 17 in Afghanistan - Mar 31, 2010
- Six killed in Afghanistan bomb attack - Jan 04, 2012
- Seven die in Afghanistan blast - Feb 28, 2012
- Afghan militants kill four on spying charges - Feb 21, 2012
- Afghan province governor injured in suicide blast - May 28, 2011
Tags: afghan capital city, civilians, explosive device, gah, gha, gmt, insurgents, kabul, police department, police officer, policemen, provincial administration, public health department, roadside bombings, southern afghanistan, spokesman, suicide attack, suicide attacks, taliban, xinhua