Suicide bombing kills 18 in Iraq military base (Second Lead)April 16th, 2009 - 9:02 pm ICT by IANS
Ramadi (Iraq), April 16 (Xinhua) The death toll from a suicide bombing inside a military base in central Iraq Thursday rose to 18 with 53 soldiers injured, a military source said.
“The latest reports said that 18 Iraqi soldiers were killed and 53 others were injured in the blast,” the source told Xinhua on condition of anonymity.
The attack took place after midday, when a suicide bomber disguised in a military uniform blew up his explosive belt inside a restaurant in the Habaniyah military base near the city of Fallujah, some 50 km west of Baghdad, the source said.
The bomber targeted dozens of Iraqi soldiers who are entering the restaurant during lunch time after their daily training, the source added.
Earlier, the source said 16 were killed and some 50 others injured in the bombing.
It was not immediately clear whether US troops were at the scene.
The source could not give further details as the incident is under investigation, he said.
The latest wave of car bombings shows that insurgents could still cause fatal attacks despite recent security gains.
On Wednesday, at least 14 people were killed and 23 were injured when a car bomb exploded in the northern Iraqi city of Kirkuk, targeting Iraqi security guards working for a petroleum company.
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
- 16 killed in Iraq suicide bombing (Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- 43 killed, over 190 wounded in Iraq bomb attacks (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- 43 killed in Iraq bomb blasts (Lead) - Aug 25, 2010
- 52 killed in series of attacks across Iraq - Sep 09, 2012
- 61 killed in Iraq attacks (Fourth Lead) - Aug 25, 2010
- 50 killed in Iraq blasts (Second Lead) - Aug 25, 2010
- Two soldiers killed in Iraq violence - Aug 13, 2010
- Seven killed, 24 injured in Iraq attacks - Jun 11, 2010
- 16 killed in Iraq suicide bombing - Apr 16, 2009
- Nine killed in Iraq attacks - Apr 19, 2012
- 57 killed in attacks on Iraqi police stations (Third Lead) - Aug 25, 2010
- 12 killed in Baghdad bombings - Jul 31, 2012
- Twelve dead in two bomb blasts in northern Iraq - Apr 29, 2011
- 19 killed in Iraq mosque blast (Lead) - Jun 04, 2011
Tags: anonymity, baghdad, car bomb, car bombings, central iraq, death toll, dozens, insurgents, iraqi city, iraqi security, iraqi soldiers, lunch time, midday, military base, military source, military uniform, petroleum company, security guards, suicide bomber, xinhua