Suicide bombing kills 16 in Pakistan (Lead)April 16th, 2009 - 12:35 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, April 15 (DPA) At least 16 people, including 10 policemen, were killed and several injured Wednesday in a suicide bombing in Pakistan’s North West Frontier Province, officials said.
The bomber rammed an explosives-laden vehicle into a police checkpoint in the Tangi area of the province’s Charsadda district, the district’s senior police officer Mohammad Yar said.
“Nine policemen, including two officers, and six civilians died on the spot, while one officer succumbed to his injuries at the hospital,” Yar said.
He feared that death toll might increase as some of the around one dozen injured are in critical condition.
“I see here six civilian vehicles, all of them destroyed,” journalist Sabaz Ali Tareen told DPA over telephone from the scene.
“It’s hard to believe that anyone on board these vehicles would have survived,” he added.
“The road is littered with human blood and flesh and I can still smell gunpowder,” Tareen said.
Charsadda is located close to the restive valley of Swat, where the government has signed a peace deal with Taliban fighters to end around 16 months of fighting that has killed hundreds of people.
Under the deal, the government officially allowed the establishment of Islamic courts in the region, but emboldened militants have begun to spread their influence to the neighbouring district.
- 16 killed in Pakistan suicide bombing - Apr 15, 2009
- Three killed in another blast in Pakistan - Jan 13, 2011
- More blasts in Pakistan, three killed (Lead) - Jan 13, 2011
- Seven killed in Iraq attacks - Aug 06, 2012
- Donkey bomb: New trick by Afghan militants kills cop - Aug 06, 2012
- Suicide blast in Pakistan's Khyber Pakhtunkhwa - Jan 12, 2011
- 50 killed, hundreds injured in Iraq attacks (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Four U.S. troops killed in Afghanistan helicopter crash - Apr 21, 2012
- Four police officers killed as militants target police vehicle, security checkpoint in Pak - Jan 13, 2011
- Teenage car-bomber killed in Pakistan - Oct 19, 2010
- Taliban killed in failed bombing, five injured - Dec 02, 2011
- 20 killed in blast outside Pakistan police station (Second Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- One killed in Quetta bomb blast - Jun 07, 2011
- Six die in Afghan suicide bombing - May 19, 2012
- Twin attacks kill 10 in Afghanistan (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
Tags: charsadda, civilian vehicles, civilians, critical condition, death toll, dpa, explosives, frontier province, gunpowder, human blood, islamic courts, mohammad yar, north west frontier, peace deal, police checkpoint, police officer, policemen, swat, taliban fighters, tareen