Suicide bombers killed at Somalian assembly meet venueAugust 1st, 2012 - 7:20 pm ICT by IANS
Mogadishu, Aug 1 (IANS) At least two suicide bombers were shot dead in Mogadishu when they approached a venue of the Somalia’s National Constituent Assembly meeting Wednesday.
A policeman was also injured at the convention expected to vote on a draft constitution for the country, Xinhua quoted a police official as saying.
“The two men who tried to force their way into a checkpoint at the entrance of the venue were shot and the incoming bullets detonated their explosives, one police officer was wounded in the blast,” said Mohyadeen Farah.
Unable to get inside the meeting area, the two bombers used false identification papers to get into the venue where 825 delegates were meeting to vote on the constitution.
Somali government officials, however, said the vote on the new draft constitution for the country would be held as planned.
- 14 killed in Somalia suicide bombing - Sep 21, 2012
- 89 Al-Shabaab terrorists held in Somalia - Jul 15, 2012
- UN condemns Somalia suicide attack - Oct 05, 2011
- Somali premier resigns amid spat with president - Sep 21, 2010
- At least six dead in car bombing at Somalia airport - Sep 09, 2010
- Politicians among 60 dead in Somalia clashes (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- Somalia car bomb kills 10 at a cafe - Feb 09, 2012
- 17 killed in Mogadishu fighting - Jun 03, 2011
- Somali President condemns Mogadishu attack - Oct 05, 2011
- 65 dead in Somali car bombing - Oct 04, 2011
- Somali radio station director killed - Feb 29, 2012
- 18 dead in Afghan suicide bombings - Apr 10, 2012
- Somali pirates want Indian hostages swapped with jailed colleagues - Apr 16, 2011
- Lawmaker shot dead in Somalia - Nov 10, 2011
- One dead in UN agency blast in Somalia - Sep 24, 2011
Tags: bullets, checkpoint, delegates, draft constitution, explosives, government officials, mogadishu, national constituent assembly, police officer, police official, policeman, somali government, somalia, suicide bombers, two men, xinhua