Suicide bomber targets Iraqi governor’s houseMay 18th, 2009 - 4:44 pm ICT by IANS
Mosul (Iraq), May 18 (DPA) An Iraqi policeman was killed and three civilians were wounded when a suicide bomber targeted the home of the governor of a northern Iraqi province, according to news reports Monday.
Citing local police, it said a man detonated explosives packed into his car 150 metres away from the home of Athil al-Najifi, governor of Iraq’s northern Nineveh province, in downtown Mosul, some 400 km north of Baghdad. The governor was apparently unharmed, Baghdad’s Buratha news agency reported.
Nineveh, which is among the most ethnically and religiously diverse areas of Iraq, has been the site of near-daily deadly attacks in recent months, despite successive security pushes that police say have netted hundreds of suspected militants.
Late Sunday night, police told DPA that militants had fatally shot a police officer in downtown Mosul.
In a separate incident Sunday evening, “unknown gunmen” fatally shot a civil servant in the Hay al-Zuhur district of eastern Mosul. A bystander was also injured in that incident, police said.
Also Sunday evening, a car bomb targeting an Iraqi military patrol east of Mosul injured two Iraqi soldiers and four civilians bystanders, police told DPA.
That attack followed an attack on an Iraqi police patrol in the western Mosul district of Den-Den, police said. Four people, including one policeman, were killed in that car-bomb attack.
Police in eastern Mosul also said they had found five unidentified bodies in the Tahrir neighbourhood earlier that day.
- Iraqi governor survives bomb attack, two others killed - Aug 08, 2010
- Four Iraqi soldiers among six killed in attacks - Sep 21, 2010
- 6 killed in Iraq violence - Aug 25, 2012
- Car bomb kills two soldiers, injures 21 in Iraq - Dec 13, 2009
- Six killed in Iraq attacks - Jan 23, 2012
- 52 killed in series of attacks across Iraq - Sep 09, 2012
- 55 killed, 300 wounded in Iraq bombings (Second lead) - Aug 10, 2009
- Seven security officials killed in Iraq violence - Jul 26, 2010
- Seven killed in Iraq attacks - Aug 06, 2012
- 12 killed in Iraq bombings - Jul 23, 2012
- Seven killed in Iraq violence - Aug 08, 2012
- Two dead in clashes between Iraqi and Kurdish forces in northern Iraq - Apr 25, 2011
- Eight killed in Iraq violence - Aug 16, 2011
- At least 10 killed, 28 injured in Iraq attacks (Lead) - Oct 22, 2009
- Suicide bombers kill 30, injure 63 in Iraq (Lead) - Jul 09, 2009
Tags: attack police, buratha news agency, bystander, bystanders, car bomb attack, civil servant, civilians, den den, gunmen, iraqi police, iraqi soldiers, military patrol, mosul iraq, neighbourhood, nineveh province, police patrol, policeman, suicide bomber, sunday evening, unidentified bodies