Suicide bomber kills five in Iraq (Lead)April 20th, 2009 - 5:33 pm ICT by IANS
Baquba (Iraq), April 20 (DPA) A suicide bomber killed two US soldiers, an Iraqi interpreter, and two bystanders in the Iraqi city of Baquba, witnesses said.
Eleven people were also wounded when a man detonated explosives strapped to his body near the offices of the local government in Baquba, 60 km north of Baghdad, witnesses said.
The Dubai-based satellite television channel al-Arabiya reported that three US soldiers had been killed and that four Iraqis were among the casualties in the attack. The US military did not immediately confirm the deaths.
Baquba, the capital of Iraq’s ethnically divided province of Diyala, was formerly the site of intense fighting insurgents and US forces. Violence there has declined in recent years, but March 30, three people were killed and eight others were injured when a man detonated a bomb strapped to his bicycle.
- Five Iraqi soldiers killed in separate attacks - Sep 05, 2012
- Two US soldiers among five killed in Iraq explosion - Jun 11, 2010
- 30 wounded in Iraq bombings - Sep 09, 2012
- 11 soldiers killed in Iraq car bombing - Mar 14, 2011
- 6 killed, 10 wounded in Iraq attacks - Apr 16, 2012
- 10 killed in Iraq bombing - Nov 03, 2011
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
- Three killed, nine injured in Iraq - Apr 30, 2012
- 6 killed in Iraq violence - Aug 25, 2012
- Nine killed, 21 injured in Iraq - Aug 08, 2011
- 42 killed, 65 injured in Iraq blasts (Lead) - Mar 27, 2010
- Islamist insurgent group claims killing 25 US soldiers - Jun 21, 2010
- Six killed in Iraq attacks - Jan 23, 2012
- Twelve dead in two bomb blasts in northern Iraq - Apr 29, 2011
- 2 killed, 16 injured in attacks in Iraq - Nov 13, 2011
Tags: al arabiya, baghdad, bicycle, bomb, bystanders, capital of iraq, casualties, deaths, explosives, four iraqis, insurgents, interpreter, iraqi city, local government, satellite television, suicide bomber, television channel, us military, violence