Suicide bomb attack kills three in AfghanistanApril 17th, 2009 - 8:05 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, April 17 (Xinhua) Three people were killed and three others injured Friday in a suicide bomb attack in Afghanistan’s western Nimroz province, an official said.
Two militants, with explosives strapped to their bodies, wanted to target the Afghan minister for refugees. The police shot dead one of the militants but the other one blew himself up.
The victims of the attack are all civilians, provincial governor Ghulam Dastgir Azad said.
The Afghan minister was touring the province at the time of the attack, but it was not immediately known whether the minister was present at the blast site.
This was the second suicide attack in Afghanistan Friday. Earlier a suicide car bomb attack in northern Balkh province injured two soldiers of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force.
The Taliban militants have vowed to intensify attacks on security forces this year in Afghanistan.
- Taliban leader, five others killed in Afghanistan (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- Five militants killed, 22 held in Afghanistan - Feb 27, 2012
- 42 Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Jun 17, 2012
- Afghan provincial governor succumbs to suicide blast injuries - May 29, 2011
- 11 militants killed in Afghanistan - Aug 06, 2011
- Afghan terror attack ends: 48 dead, 65 injured (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Over 60 militants killed in Afghanistan - Nov 09, 2011
- 16 foreign troops killed in single day in Afghanistan - Oct 29, 2011
- 42 Taliban killed, 37 held in Afghanistan - Dec 04, 2011
- Taliban step up attacks ahead of Afghan Loya Jirga - Nov 04, 2011
- 61 militants killed in Afghanistan - Jul 04, 2012
- Four children killed in Afghanistan blast - Nov 01, 2011
- Eight Taliban killed in Afghanistan - May 06, 2012
- 360 graduates join Afghan National Police - Apr 13, 2012
- 14 Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Apr 14, 2012
Tags: afghanistan kabul, azad, balkh province, car bomb attack, civilians, explosives, international security assistance, militants, nato, nimroz, provincial governor, refugees, security forces, suicide attack, suicide bomb attack, taliban, two soldiers, xinhua