Suicide blast kills 11 in AfghanistanNovember 13th, 2008 - 4:06 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, Nov 13 (Xinhua) A suicide car-bombing against a convoy of the US-led coalition forces in eastern Afghanistan’s Nangarhar province Thursday morning left at least one soldier and ten civilians dead and more than 70 others wounded, officials said. “The incident occurred at 7.40 a.m. local time when a man drove his explosives-laden car close to a convoy of the coalition forces on Jalalabad-Torkham highway and blew it up killing seven on the spot, all of them civilians,” provincial police chief Syed Abdul Ghafar told media.
“More than 70 people were also wounded in the blast,” he added.
Meanwhile, coalition forces confirmed the incident saying that one US service member and ten Afghan civilians were killed when a car-bomber Thursday detonated the bomb in Bati Kot district of Nangarhar province.
“The Afghan police have secured the scene, and are providing assistance to the wounded,” it added.
It is the second car bomb blast in the past two days.
A car-bomb attack in southern Kandahar city Wednesday left six persons dead and injured over 42 others.
Taliban militants fighting Afghan and international troops based in the war-torn nation have claimed responsibility for both the attacks.
- 10 dead, 12 wounded in Afghan airport bombing (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- 10 die in Afghanistan airport suicide blast - Feb 27, 2012
- Three die in Afghan bombing - Jun 19, 2011
- 16 foreign troops killed in single day in Afghanistan - Oct 29, 2011
- 45 militants killed in Afghanistan - Jun 10, 2012
- Afghan terror attack ends: 48 dead, 65 injured (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Afghan police kill 17 Taliban militants - Jul 31, 2012
- Suicide car bombing kills 14 in Afghanistan (Lead) - May 18, 2011
- 19 injured in Afghan mosque blast - Aug 03, 2012
- Eight die in Kabul attack after Obama trip (Second Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Top Afghan Taliban commander killed while fleeing in woman attire - Jun 26, 2010
- Suicide bombers attack Kabul shortly after Obama's visit - May 03, 2012
- 12 civilians killed in Afghanistan blasts - Mar 21, 2010
- Afghan education minister survives assassination bid - Jul 15, 2012
- 43 killed, over 190 wounded in Iraq bomb attacks (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012