Suicide blast in Indonesian mosque injures 28April 15th, 2011 - 7:43 pm ICT by IANS
Jakarta, April 15 (IANS) A suspected suicide bomber blew himself up during Friday prayers in a mosque in Indonesia, injuring 28 people, BBC reported.
The blast occurred around 12.15 p.m. when prayers were about to commence at the mosque in a police compound in Cirebon, West Java. Most of the wounded were police officers.
Citing Metro TV, Xinhua reported that among the victims was the Cirebon police chief Herukoco, who suffered injuries on his back.
Yenni Rahmawati, a doctor at the Pelabuhan hospital in Cirebon, said they have received 28 people injured in the blast.
Witnesses said the man was sitting among worshippers when he set off the explosives.
“He was praying. From the third row, suddenly there was a blast. I was at the last row,” a witness named Anton was quoted as saying by the Detik news website.
Another witness said the suicide bomber was wearing a long black cloth and standing in the second row of people inside the mosque.
Indonesian police spokesman Anton Bachrul Alam said: “We suspect it was a suicide bombing. The police have been the most active in fighting terrorism and that is why they (terrorists) are furious with us.”
- Two dead in Indonesia bombing - Sep 25, 2011
- 19 killed in Iraq mosque blast (Lead) - Jun 04, 2011
- 2002 Bali bombing suspect arrested - Jun 14, 2011
- Four killed, 41 wounded in Nigeria church bombing - Jun 10, 2012
- One dead, one injured in explosion in East Java, Indonesia - Mar 25, 2011
- 25 killed in Pakistan suicide blast (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Islamist militants wanted to film and broadcast cathedral explosion in Indonesia - Apr 23, 2011
- 10 die in Pakistan suicide bombing - Aug 31, 2011
- Blast in Nigeria kills bomber - Apr 02, 2012
- Four killed in Iraq bomb blasts - Aug 12, 2011
- Bali bomb suspect Umar Petek extradited from Pakistan to Indonesia - Aug 11, 2011
- Senior cop dies in Peshawar suicide blast (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- Over 50 die as suicide bomber explodes in mosque (Second Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- 42 dead in suicide bombings at Lahore shrine (Fifth Lead) - Jul 02, 2010
- Indonesia sends police to confirm Bali bomb terrorist arrest in Pakistan - Mar 30, 2011
Tags: alam, bbc, cirebon, detik news, explosives, fighting terrorism, indonesian police, jakarta, metro tv, mosque in indonesia, police compound, police officers, police spokesman, prayers, suicide bomber, west java, witness, worshippers, xinhua, yenni