Sudirman Cup: India blank Scotland, to meet Bulgaria in play-offMay 13th, 2009 - 6:40 pm ICT by IANS
Guangzhou (China), May 13 (IANS) India blanked Scotland 5-0 to finish at the top of Group 3B and will face Bulgaria in the play-off for promotion to Group 2 in the Sudirman Cup badminton championship here Wednesday.
A depleted Indian side made it to the play-off in the last edition in 2007, but lost to France to remain in Group 3 of the world mixed team badminton championship.
This time, however, India should break into Group 2 for the first time since the tournament started in 1989 as they are fielding their best side.
Bulgaria made a strong comeback in the tournament after losing the first match to Sweden and won the next two ties against USA and Czech Republic to top the competitive Group 3A.
India have been in great form so far, winning all three matches. They blanked Ukraine and Scotland 5-0 and dropped just one match in the first tie against Australia to win it 4-1.
In their last Group tie against Scotland, the mixed doubles pair of V. Diju and Jwala Gutta saw off the initial challenge to beat Andrew Bowman and Emma Mason 21-17, 21-12.
In men’s singles, Arvind Bhat outplayed Gordon Thomson 21-15, 21-16
Saina Nehwal, however, was taken to the distance by Susan Hughes before prevailing 18-21, 21-13, 21-19.
The men’s doubles combination of Sanave Thomas and Rupesh Kumar made it 4-0 with a 21-18, 25-23 win over Bowman and Thomas Bethel.
Aparna Balan and Shruti Kurian defeated Mason and Jillie Cooper 21-12, 21-15.
- CWG Badminton: India to face Canada in mixed team quarters - Oct 07, 2010
- India blank Ukraine in Sudirman Cup badminton - May 12, 2009
- India lose to China in Sudirman Cup badminton - May 26, 2011
- Sudirman Cup: India beat Bulgaria to secure promotion to Group 2 - May 14, 2009
- CWG Badminton: India demolish Wales, in mixed team quarters - Oct 06, 2010
- Mutatkar, Bhat clinch national badminton singles titles - Jan 10, 2011
- Giant-killer Sameer loses in Asia Youth badminton final - Jul 09, 2011
- India trounce Australia 4-1 in Sudirman Cup badminton - May 11, 2009
- Badminton veteran Gade builds up towards London Olympics - May 20, 2012
- Sudirman Cup: India lose 2-3 to Chinese Taipei - May 22, 2011
- Seven Indians qualify for main draw of India Open Super Series - Apr 26, 2011
- Shuttler Kashyap qualifies for London Olympics - Apr 28, 2012
- Saina in quarters of Swiss Open (Lead, superseding previous story) - Mar 18, 2011
- India in quarterfinals of Thomas, Uber Cups - May 11, 2010
- China Open: Saina, Jayaram, Kashyap lose in first round - Nov 23, 2011
Tags: 3b, aparna balan, arvind, bethel, bhat, bowman, competitive group, czech republic, gordon thomson, guangzhou china, gutta, initial challenge, jillie, jwala, kurian, mixed doubles, rupesh, shruti, sudirman cup badminton, susan hughes