Sudirman Cup: India beat Bulgaria to secure promotion to Group 2May 14th, 2009 - 9:23 pm ICT by IANS
Guangzhou (China), May 14 (IANS) India trounced Bulgaria 3-0 in a Group 3 play-off to secure a promotion to Group 2 of the Sudirman Cup badminton championship here Thursday.
This is the first time that India qualified to Group 2 of the world mixed team badminton championship since the tournament started in 1989.
India were in terrific form in the tournament and topped Group 3B winning all three ties to reach the promotional play-off.
Bulgaria, who emerged as the Group 3A topper with two wins, had no answers to the in-form Indian shuttlers.
Saina Nehwal outclassed Linda Zetchiri 21-14, 21-17 in the women’s singles.
In men’s doubles, Rupesh Kumar and Sanave Thomas got the better of Vladimir Metodiev and Yulian Hristov 21-13, 21-11.
Arvind Bhat, however, faced a tough time against Krasimir Yankov in the men’s singles. Bhat lost the first game but recovered in time to prevail 16-21, 21-19, 21-19 and wrap up victory for India.
In the last edition in 2007, India reached the promotional play-off with a depleted side but lost to France.
- Sudirman Cup: India blank Scotland, to meet Bulgaria in play-off - May 13, 2009
- Riya to face Mutatkar in Maharashtra badminton final - Jul 29, 2012
- India blank Ukraine in Sudirman Cup badminton - May 12, 2009
- China Masters: Saina, Jwala-Diju in quarters - Sep 15, 2011
- India lose to China in Sudirman Cup badminton - May 26, 2011
- Mutatkar, Bhat clinch national badminton singles titles - Jan 10, 2011
- All England Championships: Sindhu, Gurusaidutt clear first hurdle in qualifying - Mar 06, 2012
- Bhat, Murgunde out of Asian Badminton - Apr 14, 2010
- Saina in quarters of Swiss Open (Lead, superseding previous story) - Mar 18, 2011
- India trounce Australia 4-1 in Sudirman Cup badminton - May 11, 2009
- India Open Super Series: Saina makes a tearful first round exit (Roundup) - Apr 27, 2011
- India Open Super Series: Sourabh, Sai Datt keep India's hopes alive (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- Shuttler Kashyap qualifies for London Olympics - Apr 28, 2012
- Asian badminton: Ajay Jayaram goes down fighting - Apr 18, 2012
- Gutta-Diju in pre-quarters, Anand out in singles first round - Aug 24, 2010