Su-30 fighter crashes in Russia, crew safeFebruary 28th, 2012 - 6:01 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Feb 28 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A Su-30 fighter jet crashed during a test flight in Russia Tuesday, but both the crew members ejected safely, officials said.
The crash occurred around 10.20 a.m. 130 km from Komsomolsk-on-Amur.
“Both crew members ejected safely but one was hurt on landing,” a regional administration source said.
The aircraft belonged to the Komsomolsk-on-Amur factory where Su-30s are manufactured.
Meanwhile, the defence ministry spokesman said Tuesday Russia has partially resumed flights of the Su-24 Fencer tactical bombers after one of them crashed earlier this month.
Col. Vladimir Drik said: “After tests, unit commanders will receive permission to resume flights of this type of aircraft.”
All Su-24s were grounded after one of them crashed in the woods of the Kurgan region during a routine flight Feb 13. Both pilots ejected safely.
The crash was the third of a Su-24 in Russia over the last four months. The two previous crashes occurred in October and December 2011.
The Su-24 is a two-seat, twin-engine fighter-bomber similar to NATO’s Tornado and Mirage 2000 planes.
It has been in service with the Russian Air Force since the mid-1970s. However, in recent years Russia has gradually been phasing out the planes, which have a patchy safety record.
According to the defence ministry, the Su-24 will be replaced with the new Su-34 Fullback strike aircraft.
- Russia to buy 92 Su-34 fighters - Mar 01, 2012
- Russian fighter crashes, crew untraced - Nov 19, 2010
- Russia's 5G fighter makes first demonstration flight - Aug 18, 2011
- Russian fighter plane crashes - May 29, 2010
- Fighter jet crashes in Belarus - Jun 13, 2012
- Syrian rebels shoot down MiG - Aug 14, 2012
- World War II plane found in Russian lake - Jun 21, 2012
- Plane crash kills four in Russia - Apr 07, 2012
- Sukhoi to remain top combat aircraft seller till 2015 - Feb 25, 2012
- Russia places order for 30 fighter aircraft - Mar 22, 2012
- Child among three killed in Russian plane crash - Jul 22, 2012
- Russia's fifth-generation fighter jet makes maiden flight - Jan 29, 2010
- Six die in plane-crash in Russia - Mar 05, 2011
- Poor quality fuel cause of Russian plane crash? - Sep 08, 2011
- Syrian military chopper shot down - Aug 28, 2012
Tags: 24s, crew members, defence ministry spokesman, drik, fighter bomber, fullback, komsomolsk, mid 1970s, mirage 2000, regional administration, ria novosti, routine flight, russian air force, safety record, strike aircraft, su 24 fencer, su 30 fighter, su 30 fighter jet, test flight, unit commanders