Stylish Michelle Obama makes ‘purple splash’ in the Big AppleMay 20th, 2009 - 12:30 pm ICT by ANI
New York, May 20 (ANI): Michelle Obama continued to win admirers after stunning the New York crowd in her purple cocktail dress during a public show of support for the arts in the city.
The US First Lady braved the chilly weather in a purple wool and silk sheath, paired with a jacket from Isaac Mizrahi, during her arrival at the Metropolitan Museum of Art to cut a ribbon for the opening of a new wing.
The mum-of-two, who has a line of dreamy-eyed designers waiting to dress her, later reached Lincoln Center to celebrate the American Ballet Theatre’s Opening Night Gala.
“Michelle Obama is a huge inspiration,” the New York Daily News quoted Mizrahi as saying.
“She has created the new democracy of fashion, the perfect balance between casual and propriety. She has already become a fashion icon for the ages,” Mizrahi added.
Met Museum President Emily Rafferty introduced Michelle, noting that the President and his wife enjoyed their first date at a Chicago museum.
Michelle said: “After 20 some odd years of knowing a guy, you forget that your first date was at a museum. But it was, and it was obviously wonderful. It worked.” (ANI)
- Michelle Obama wears $10 T-shirt to lunch with ex First Lady Nancy Reagan - Jun 06, 2009
- New book celebrates Michelle Obama's style and wardrobe - Oct 25, 2009
- Lauren Bush thinks Michelle Obama's sense of style is great - Sep 15, 2010
- QVC celebrates a grand NYFW - Oct 08, 2010
- Mary, Ashley to design luxury handbag range - Jul 15, 2011
- Women make style statements with hats at royal wedding - Apr 29, 2011
- Victoria Beckham wants to dress Jolie, Michelle Obama - Dec 08, 2010
- Cristian Ronaldo's girlfriend Irina goes high fashion in Spain - Oct 25, 2010
- Bedspreads, Ganeshas, toys...Michelle can't stop buying at crafts museum (Lead) - Nov 08, 2010
- Exhibition Of Ball Gowns Of America’s First Ladies - Jan 14, 2011
- Michelle Obama wears $35 H&M dress on 'Today' show - Feb 11, 2011
- Michelle Obama's inaugural dress to be featured in Manhattan museum exhibit - Jun 18, 2009
- Now, a book on Michelle Obama's fashion choices - May 05, 2009
- Michelle Obama's wardrobe advisor to be honoured - Feb 02, 2011
- Michelle calls the shots at home - Nov 08, 2010
Tags: admirers, american ballet theatre, chicago museum, chilly weather, cocktail dress, fashion icon, first date, isaac mizrahi, lincoln center, metropolitan museum of art, michelle obama, new democracy, new york daily news, perfect balance, propriety, purple wool, rafferty, sheath, york crowd, york daily news