Stuttgart crash out of German Cup, Dortmund reach semisFebruary 27th, 2008 - 1:17 pm ICT by admin
Hamburg, Feb 27 (DPA) Bundesliga champions VfB Stuttgart crashed out of the German Cup on penalties to second-division side Carl Zeiss Jena in a dramatic quarterfinal tie. Meanwhile, Borussia Dortmund overcame second-division opponents Hoffenheim to advance to the semi-finals Tuesday.
Jena, struggling near the foot of the second division, caused another major upset after eliminating cup holders Nuremberg and first-division Arminia Bielefeld in the previous rounds.
A goal in the last seconds of extra time by Robert Mueller took Jena into penalties with the score at 2-2 after Mario Gomez had twice struck for Stuttgart, last season’s losing finalists.
Jena - four-time cup winners in former East Germany - won the shoot-out 5-4, with Torsten Ziegner scoring the decisive goal after Antonia da Silva had struck his penalty shot over the bar.
Jena had led from a 32nd-minute header from Tobias Werner until Gomez struck nine minutes from time to take the match into the extra 30 minutes, and then scored again four minutes into the extra period.
In Dortmund, goals from Italian midfielder Giovanni Federico and the Brazilian Tinga put Borussia in front before Francisco Copada pulled one back from the penalty spot for Hoffenheim before half time.
Croatian Mladen Petric headed a third for Dortmund nine minutes after the break to settle the game.
“They play really good football but in the end it was a deserved victory for us,” said Dortmund coach Thomas Doll.
It is the first time Dortmund have reached the last four since 1989 when they went on to win the cup.
In the two remaining quarterfinals on Wednesday, SV Hamburg visit Wolfsburg, while Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich face second-division 1860 Munich in a city derby.
- German Bundesliga kicks off August 27 - Jun 27, 2012
- Dortmund reaches semifinals at German Cup - Feb 08, 2012
- Bayern, Monchengladbach, Fuerth in German Cup semis - Feb 09, 2012
- Bayern on top with unconvincing victory over Wolfsburg - Jan 29, 2012
- Dortmund share point with Nuremberg - Sep 02, 2012
- Schalke defeat Berlin for second place of German Bundesliga - Dec 10, 2011
- Bayern Munich claims win against newcomer - Aug 26, 2012
- Borussia Dortmund edge out Bayern Munich in Bundesliga - Nov 20, 2011
- Dortmund humble Bayern to win German Cup - May 13, 2012
- Cologne relegated, Dortmund break Bundesliga record - May 06, 2012
- Mainz share points with Hoffenheim in Bundesliga - Feb 18, 2012
- Mainz shock Stuttgart 3-1 in Bundesliga - Nov 05, 2011
- Stuttgart, Dortmund crash out of German Cup - Oct 28, 2009
- Stuttgart beat Hoffenheim - Mar 17, 2012
- Dortmund drop points as Bayern edge closer - Mar 11, 2012
Tags: 1860 munich, carl zeiss jena, coach thomas, copada, crash out, cup winners, da silva, decisive goal, deserved victory, division opponents, east germany, german cup, giovanni federico, mario gomez, minute header, petric, robert mueller, sv hamburg, tinga, tobias werner