Student visa scam in UK facilitated entry of terror suspectsApril 14th, 2009 - 2:07 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr.14 (ANI): A student visa scam has surfaced in Britain. A bogus college is reported to have sold places on fake courses to hundreds of Pakistanis seeking entry to Britain.
According to The Times, the Manchester College of Professional Studies acted as a gateway to Britain for foreigners willing to pay 50 pounds for the letter of admission that earned them a student visa.
Abdul Wahab Khan, 26, one of ten Pakistani nationals still in detention after terror raids last week in the North West, was registered at the college as an English-language student, the paper reports.
A former employee has told The Times that more than a hundred young Pakistani men, most from the country’s troubled North West Frontier Province, came to Britain after being enrolled as students at the college.
He said that no classes were taught at the college. It had only two classrooms, no genuine teachers and sat among a cluster of Asian businesses on a busy suburban road.
The college, which operated for two years, shut down last July after a Home Office raid prompted by “concerns about irregularities”, according to the Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills.
The Home Office was unable last night to confirm any inquiry focusing on the Manchester campus of Bradford College of Professional Studies “due to the ongoing police investigation” into alleged terrorism. (ANI)
- Britain makes it tough for Pakistani students - Apr 13, 2012
- 59 percent of Indian students to Britain fake: Report - Jul 25, 2012
- 'Sham college network' allows Pakistanis into Britain: report - May 22, 2009
- Pak 'terror suspect' students win court battle against deportation from Britain - May 18, 2010
- Illegal immigrants get into UK through 'bogus college' route - Jul 21, 2009
- British police fear many Pak extremists posing as students may have entered the UK - Nov 28, 2009
- 350,000 foreigners enter Britain on 'student' visas - Aug 02, 2010
- Britain drops deportation orders for Pak students - Jul 18, 2009
- Massive British college scam allowed thousands of 'suspicious' Pak students to enroll - May 21, 2009
- Two Pak students held in anti-terror raids fly back home, abandon deportation fight - Aug 22, 2009
- Rise in Indian students opting for Australia - Jul 05, 2011
- Brit court blasts 'democratic' Pak for being subservient to military, intelligence - May 21, 2010
- Tight British visas driving Indian students to Australia - May 22, 2012
- One in 10 foreign students in Britain sponsored by bogus college - Feb 27, 2010
- UK MPs warn government over new student visa controls - Mar 18, 2011
Tags: abdul wahab, admission, asian businesses, bradford college, english language student, foreigners, frontier province, genuine teachers, innovation, irregularities, manchester college, north west frontier, pakistani nationals, pakistanis, police investigation, professional studies, student visa, suburban road, terror raids, terrorism