Student confesses to Valentine’s Day murderFebruary 20th, 2009 - 4:25 pm ICT by IANS
Hanoi, Feb 20 (DPA) Vietnamese police have arrested a college student who confessed to slitting her wealthy ex-boyfriend’s throat with a fruit knife on Valentine’s Day, a police official said Friday.
Police said Vu Thi Kim Anh, 22, a fourth-year student at Hanoi Pedagogical University, confessed to murdering Nguyen Tien Chinh, 42, as the two sat in his parked Lexus sports utility vehicle.
“[Anh's] action was partially caused by the victim’s misconduct,” said Senior Lieutenant Nguyen Duc Chung, head of the Hanoi Investigative Police.
Chung said Chinh, the chief executive of a mining company, was married but hid this fact from Anh during their affair, which began in April 2006. Anh broke it off a year later after discovering Chinh had a wife.
The two met again in late January while attending the wedding of a mutual friend in their native province of Cao Bang on the Chinese border. Chinh reportedly pushed Anh to resume the affair, but she refused, saying she was engaged to another man.
On Feb 13, Chinh persuaded Anh to meet him by threatening to tell her fiance about their affair.
Anh told police Chinh tried to rape her in his car. Police said Anh used a fruit knife she found in the car to slit Chinh’s throat and fled to her fiance’s house in Hanoi’s Thanh Xuan district, where police arrested her Wednesday night.
Under Vietnamese law, murder is punishable by 12 to 20 years in prison, life imprisonment or capital punishment, depending on the gravity of the case.
- Vietnamese man opens plane's emergency exit on runway - Nov 07, 2011
- Vietnam, Britain hold strategic dialogue - Jul 06, 2012
- US, Vietnam to hold joint navy activities - Jul 08, 2011
- India to help Vietnam enhance, upgrade its armed forces - Oct 13, 2010
- Guard confesses to murdering Mumbai lawyer, act premediated: Police (Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Vietnam testing avian flu vaccine - Feb 21, 2012
- India, Vietnam plan joint army training - Oct 13, 2010
- Man held for father's murder - Jul 25, 2012
- India is karmic for couple on world tour (Lead) - Jun 03, 2011
- India, Vietnam to enhance bilateral trade - May 20, 2010
- Man kills girlfriend, attempts suicide - Jun 09, 2011
- Vietnam president praises India's economic, technical help - Jul 18, 2012
- Vietnam criticises India's anti-dumping duties - Mar 31, 2009
- Spanish-Vietnamese couple bike to India for green cause spot - Jun 03, 2011
- Guard confesses to murdering Mumbai lawyer - Aug 10, 2012
Tags: bang on, chinese border, chinh, fourth year, fruit knife, hanoi, kim anh, life imprisonment, mining company, mutual friend, native province, nguyen duc, pedagogical university, police official, prison life, sports utility vehicle, thanh xuan, valentine s day, vietnamese law, vietnamese police