Student, 88, wins Berlin doctorate denied by NazisNovember 20th, 2008 - 12:18 pm ICT by IANS
Berlin, Nov 20 (DPA) Berlin Technical University has awarded a doctorate to an 88-year-old man whose studies were obstructed by the Nazis, the weekly newspaper Die Zeit has reported.Dimitri Stein submitted his thesis on electrical engineering in 1943 but university authorities refused him an oral examination because he had Jewish ancestry.
His professor arranged him a hiding place and he survived the Second World War, emigrating to the United States where he worked as an academic and engineer and went into business.
Stein said he asked in the 1950s if could be examined but received a rude rejection. When he asked again in 2006, professors were ashamed and set to work to right the old wrong before it was too late.
This month, Stein answered probing questions about his thesis with the examiners orienting themselves to the state of the art in the 1940s, and passed.
The university’s chief, Kurt Kutzler, conferred the doctorate in person.
- German judge convicts, frees ailing Nazi extermination camp guard - May 13, 2011
- Nazi camp atrocities on display in Shanghai - Apr 19, 2012
- German court finds former Nazi guard guilty of 27,900 deaths - May 12, 2011
- Colorado dentist put thousands at HIV risk by reusing needles - Jul 17, 2012
- Noam Chomsky barred from coming into Israel - May 18, 2010
- Jailed Bihar politician to be awarded Ph.D - Jul 07, 2012
- Hitler once spared the life of a Jew - his ex-officer - Jul 06, 2012
- Study offers first look at Indian Americans' glaucoma risk - Apr 05, 2011
- DNA Reveals Nazi Leader Adolf Hitler Possibly of Jewish & African Decent - Aug 24, 2010
- 'Fiddler on the Roof' writer Joseph Stein dies at 98 - Oct 27, 2010
- Painting stolen by Nazis recovered, up for sale - Apr 20, 2012
- 'Hungarian president didn't plagarise thesis' - Jan 12, 2012
- Hitler's Nazi party financed 30% of WW II with stolen Jewish money - Nov 10, 2010
- Synagogue torched in Germany - May 17, 2010
- An 'American Schindler' who helped 4,000 Jews escape from the Nazis - Aug 18, 2010