Struggling Arminia Bielefeld draw at LeverkusenMay 9th, 2009 - 8:36 pm ICT by IANS
Duesseldorf, May 9 (DPA) Struggling Bundesliga club Arminia Bielefeld managed to climb out of the relegation zone with a 2-2 draw against Bayer Leverkusen.
Bielefeld led with ten minutes to go, but allowed the home side back into the game for a draw that in the end is probably a disappointing result for the visitors.
Stefan Kiessling gave Leverkusen the lead in the 21st minute, but an own goal by Germany defender Manuel Friedrich equalized matters just a minute later.
Robert Tesche’s header in the 39th minute then gave Bielefeld the half-time advantage.
In the second half Leverkusen did better and Patrick Helmes found an equalizer in the 79th minute to make the final score 2-2.
The result sees Leverkusen move to eighth position with 46 points, while Bielefeld are 15th - one clear of the drop zone - on 27 points.
Table-toppers Wolfsburg face a tough away trip to VfB Stuttgart, knowing that they are closing in on their first-ever Bundesliga title. With four games to go, Wolfsburg have 60 points, three more than second-placed Bayern Munich.
Hertha Berlin are on 56 points, one more than Stuttgart and SV Hamburg.
- Cologne relegated, Dortmund break Bundesliga record - May 06, 2012
- Dortmund close in on Bundesgila title - Apr 15, 2012
- Loew calls up Hunt and Mueller for friendlies - Nov 06, 2009
- Leaders Hoffenheim snatch late draw in Bundesliga - Feb 08, 2009
- New boy Robben scores for Bayern as Leverkusen go top - Aug 30, 2009
- Bayern Munich aim to improve in Bundesliga - Dec 03, 2009
- Bremen go top as Hanover and Bundesliga remember Enke - Nov 22, 2009
- Late goal prevents Leverkusen opening a gap at the top - Feb 22, 2010
- Leverkusen spend Christmas at the top but Bayern lurk - Dec 20, 2009
- Bayern Munich on revenge mission in Wolfsburg - Feb 04, 2010
- Mertesacker saves Bremen as Hamburg and Schalke stumble - Nov 29, 2009
- Bayern see chance to go top in title-race thriller - May 11, 2009
- Bayern on top with unconvincing victory over Wolfsburg - Jan 29, 2012
- Munich at Leverkusen for first of two crucial showdowns - Nov 27, 2008
- Mainz shock Stuttgart 3-1 in Bundesliga - Nov 05, 2011
Tags: arminia, bayer leverkusen, drop zone, duesseldorf, eighth position, equalizer, final score, four games, game, half time, hertha berlin, manuel friedrich, munich, patrick helmes, relegation zone, second half, stefan kiessling, sv hamburg, table toppers, time advantage