Strong quake jolts IndonesiaApril 4th, 2009 - 2:20 pm ICT by IANS
Jakarta, April 4 (Xinhua) An earthquake measuring 6.5 on the Richter scale Saturday jolted the eastern part of Indonesia, the meteorology and disaster management agencies said.
The quake occurred at 0541 GMT, with the epicentre 117 km northeast of North Sulawesi and 10 km under the seabed, an official said. No tsunami warning was issued.
“There is no report of damage or fatality. The people only felt a light shake,” Panji Syahril Maulana of the disaster management agency said.
Indonesia with over 230 million people sits on a vulnerable quake zone called the Pacific Ring of Fire, where the two continental plates meet, which cause frequent seismic and volcanic movements.
- Strong quake jolts Indonesia - May 16, 2010
- 6.3-magnitude quake rocks Indonesia - Jul 21, 2010
- Quake rocks Indonesia - Jul 24, 2010
- Magnitude 6.1 quake strikes off Java island - May 17, 2011
- Quake rattles Indonesian province - Apr 15, 2012
- 7.6-magnitude quake off central Philippines (Lead, Changing dateline) - Aug 31, 2012
- 25 killed as strong quake jolts Indonesia (Third Lead) - Sep 02, 2009
- Quake jolts Indonesia's West Sumatra, four injured (Second Lead) - Aug 16, 2009
- Strong quake jolts Indonesia - May 07, 2010
- Powerful quake hits Indonesia - Oct 25, 2009
- 6.4-magnitude earthquake jolts Indonesia (Lead) - Sep 19, 2009
- 6.1-magnitude earthquake jolts Indonesia's Papua - Oct 04, 2009
- Magnitude 6.6 quake hits New Britain region, Papua New Guinea (Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Powerful quake rocks eastern Indonesia - Oct 26, 2008
- 6.2-magnitude quake rocks eastern Indonesia - Oct 13, 2009
Tags: april 4, continental plates, disaster management, earthquake, epicentre, fatality, jakarta, management agencies, management agency, meteorology, north sulawesi, pacific ring of fire, part of indonesia, quake jolts, quake zone, richter scale, ring of fire, seabed, tsunami warning, xinhua