Strong quake jolts AlaskaJanuary 25th, 2009 - 4:29 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Jan 25 (Xinhua) A powerful earthquake measuring 6.1 on the Richter scale Saturday jolted the US state of Alaska, the US Geological Survey (USGS) reported.The earthquake occurred at 9.09 a.m., with its epicentre some 259 km southwest of Anchorage, Alaska’s largest city, and with a depth of 94.5 km, the USGS said on its website.
The West Coast and Alaksa Tsunami Warning Centre, however, confirmed that no tsunami was expected as a result of the quake.
The Anchorage Daily News and other US media said there was no immediate report of casualties or damage.
Historical records show that a massive earthquake of magnitude 9.2 struck Alaska March 27, 1964, the largest one in North America and the second largest ever recorded in the world.
It triggered a tsunami wave that struck the US Pacific coast and killed more than 100 people in Alaska alone.
- Earthquake hits Aleutian Islands of US - Sep 27, 2010
- Powerful quake strikes Alaskan island, tsunami warning canceled - Jun 24, 2011
- Strong earthquake prompts brief tsunami warning in Alaska - Sep 02, 2011
- 7.2-magnitude quake hits Guam - Aug 14, 2010
- Strong quake hits Norwegian Sea: USGS - May 25, 2012
- Chronology of world's major quakes since 1900 - Mar 11, 2011
- Quake rocks Japan again - Apr 09, 2011
- Magnitude-5.9 quake hits Japan - Mar 22, 2011
- Quake jolts India-Myanmar border - Jul 15, 2012
- Quake hits Japan - Apr 21, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes western Indonesia, no word on casualties - Sep 06, 2011
- 5.9-magnitude quake hits Fiji region - Mar 27, 2011
- 7.6-magnitude quake off central Philippines (Lead, Changing dateline) - Aug 31, 2012
- Quakes rock Japan island (Lead) - Mar 22, 2011
- Magnitude-6.9 quake hits Solomon Islands - Apr 23, 2011
Tags: anchorage alaska, anchorage daily news, casualties, epicentre, jolts alaska, magnitude 9, massive earthquake, pacific coast, powerful earthquake, quake jolts, richter scale, southwest, state of alaska, tsunami, tsunami warning centre, tsunami wave, us geological survey, usgs, west coast, xinhua