Strong earthquake shakes IndonesiaFebruary 12th, 2009 - 3:04 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Feb 12 (DPA) An earthquake with a magnitude of at least seven on the Richter scale shook the northern portion of Indonesia’s Sulawesi island Wednesday.
The quake at a depth of 35 km near the Talaud islands between Sulawesi and the southern Philippines occurred at 1734 GMT, the US Geological Survey said.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre said no major tsunamis were expected but that such waves were possible within 100 km of the epicentre. It said the quake had a magnitude of 7.4.
- Hundreds dead as devastating quake, tsunami hit Japan (Second Intro Roundup) - Mar 12, 2011
- 6.2-magnitude quake shakes islands off eastern Indonesia - Oct 13, 2009
- 7.6-magnitude quake off central Philippines (Lead, Changing dateline) - Aug 31, 2012
- 8.8 quake hits Japan, triggers tsunami (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- Quake rattles Indonesian province - Apr 15, 2012
- Major earthquake strikes off the Philippines, tsunami warnings issued - Aug 31, 2012
- 6.2-magnitude quake rocks eastern Indonesia - Oct 13, 2009
- Strong earthquake strikes near Indonesia's Talaud Islands - May 07, 2010
- Japan hit by massive quake, tsunami, 200-300 killed (Roundup) - Mar 11, 2011
- 7.3 magnitude earthquake strikes Fiji - Sep 16, 2011
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- Powerful quake hits Indonesia, no tsunami - Nov 14, 2011
- Quake jolts Philippines - Aug 30, 2011
- 7.4-magnitude quake hits New Zealand - Sep 04, 2010
- 37 injured in Indonesia earthquake (Lead) - Feb 12, 2009
Tags: earthquake, epicentre, indonesia, magnitude, northern portion, pacific tsunami warning, pacific tsunami warning centre, quake, richter scale, southern philippines, sulawesi island, talaud islands, tsunami, tsunami warning centre, tsunamis, us geological survey, waves