Strong earthquake jolts eastern Japan, no damageAugust 1st, 2011 - 11:13 pm ICT by BNO News
TOKYO (BNO NEWS) — A strong earthquake struck Suruga Bay in eastern Japan on late Monday evening, seismologists said, but there were no immediate reports of damage or casualties.
The 6.1-magnitude earthquake at 11.58 p.m. local time (1458 GMT) was centered in Suruga Bay, about 32 kilometers (19 miles) south of Shizuoka, the capital city of Shizuoka Prefecture. It struck about 20 kilometers (12.4 miles) deep, making it a shallow earthquake, according to the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA).
Tremors with an intensity of 5 minus on the Japanese seismic scale of 0 to 7 were felt in several areas near the coast, but there were no immediate reports of damage or casualties. The United States Geological Survey (USGS), which measured the strength of the earthquake at 5.9 on the Richter scale, estimated that some 740,000 people in the region may have felt strong shaking.
Because earthquakes with a magnitude below 7 do normally not generate tsunamis, neither JMA nor the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued a tsunami watch or warning. “Although there may be slight sea-level changes in coastal regions, this earthquake has caused no damage to Japan,” JMA said.
Japan, which is on the so-called Pacific Ring of Fire, is still recovering from an enormous 9.0-magnitude earthquake which struck off the coast of northeastern Japan on March 11, generating a large tsunami. The earthquake and resulting tsunami left at least 15,597 people killed while 4,980 others remain missing and feared dead.
- Strong earthquake shakes northeast Japan, no damage - Mar 27, 2012
- Strong earthquake jolts eastern Japan - Aug 12, 2011
- Strong quake strikes off eastern Japan, no damage - Aug 22, 2011
- Powerful quake rocks northern Japan, no casualties - Mar 09, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes off Japan, felt in Tokyo - Nov 30, 2010
- Powerful quake strikes off northeastern Japan, tsunami warning issued - Apr 07, 2011
- 6.0-magnitude earthquake hits off the coast of Oregon, no damage - Feb 16, 2012
- Strong quake jolts northeastern Japan, no tsunami threat - Mar 29, 2011
- 5.9-magnitude earthquake hits off Oregon coast, no damage - Apr 12, 2012
- Powerful quake strikes off Japan, tsunami warning canceled - Dec 22, 2010
- Japan issues tsunami warning for islands after powerful earthquake - Dec 22, 2010
- Tsunami alert after strong earthquake strikes off Japan's Miyako Islands (Update) - Oct 04, 2010
- Strong quake shakes northeastern Japan, no damage reported - Mar 31, 2011
- Two strong aftershocks rock Japan minutes apart - Mar 15, 2011
- Strong earthquake hits off the coast of Oregon, no damage - Oct 13, 2011
Tags: bno, coastal regions, earthquake jolts, eastern japan, japan meteorological agency, magnitude earthquake, northeastern japan, pacific ring of fire, pacific tsunami warning, pacific tsunami warning center, prefecture, richter scale, ring of fire, sea level changes, seismologists, shallow earthquake, tsunami warning center, united states geological, united states geological survey, usgs