Strong earthquake hits PeruFebruary 3rd, 2009 - 5:26 am ICT by IANS
Lima, Feb 3 (Xinhua) An earthquake measuring 6 on the Richter scale hit southern Peru Monday, authorities said.The Geophysics Institute of Peru (IGP) said that the earthquake occurred at 12.53 p.m. local time (1753 GMT) with epicentre some 74 km west of Pisco and at a depth of 35 km.
The earthquake was felt in the cities of Lima and Callao.
The director of the seismology department from the IGP, Hernando Tavera said that it was an earthquake of moderate intensity, which could have caused damage in urban zones.
So far there has been no report of casualties or damage caused by the tremor.
- Quake hits Indonesia - Jun 23, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - May 02, 2012
- 6.8 magnitude quake hits Peru - Aug 25, 2011
- Quake hits India's northeast (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 01, 2012
- Quake jolts northeast India - Aug 19, 2012
- Two earthquakes hit northeastern states (Second Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- 7-magnitude quake rocks Myanmar (Lead) - Mar 25, 2011
- Magnitude 6.1 quake strikes off Java island - May 17, 2011
- Moderate quake hits Indonesia - May 24, 2010
- Moderate quake jolts Gujarat (Lead) - Oct 21, 2011
- 5.4-magnitude quake rocks Assam, Meghalaya (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Two strong earthquakes shake Mexican desert in Baja California - Apr 12, 2012
- Quake hits Papua New Guinea - Aug 21, 2011
- 6.3-magnitude quake rocks Indonesia - Jul 21, 2010
- Earthquake in northeast - Jul 15, 2012
Tags: authorities, casualties, earthquake, geophysics institute, gmt, local time, moderate intensity, peru lima, pisco, richter scale, seismology department, southern peru, tavera, tremor, urban zones, xinhua