Strong earthquake hits off Norwegian island, no tsunami alertJanuary 29th, 2011 - 3:20 pm ICT by BNO News
JAN MAYEN (BNO NEWS) — A strong earthquake struck near the Norwegian island of Jan Mayen on early Saturday morning, seismologists said, but no tsunami alert was issued.
The 6.1-magnitude earthquake at 6.55 a.m. local time (GMT) was centered just east of Jan Mayen, a volcanic island in the Arctic Ocean that belongs to Norway. It is partly covered by glaciers and is located about 500 kilometers (300 miles) east of central Greenland, or 1,000 kilometers (600 miles) west of the North Cape in Norway.
The strong earthquake struck just 9.5 kilometers (5.9 miles) deep, making it a shallow earthquake, according to the United States Geological Survey (USGS). No damage or casualties were expected as the island is usually uninhabited.
A seismologist with the USGS said Saturday’s earthquake was the largest in the region since a 6.0-magnitude earthquake on April 14, 2004, but smaller earthquakes occur more frequently. “This part of the world, the earthquakes, it’s a spreading ridge, so the plates are moving away from each other. They normally don’t produce large earthquakes,” the seismologist said.
There was no tsunami threat as a result of the earthquake.
- Strongest earthquake in years hits northwest of Norway, no damage - May 25, 2012
- Strong earthquake hits the South Pacific Ocean, no tsunami warning - Jan 29, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes the South Sandwich Islands, no damage - Dec 08, 2010
- Deep 6.8-magnitude earthquake strikes off East Timor; no damage - Aug 30, 2011
- Powerful quake strikes Alaskan island, tsunami warning canceled - Jun 24, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes off Tonga, no damage reported - Dec 26, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes far off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - Nov 01, 2011
- Strong earthquake rocks Papua New Guinea's New Britain, no reports of damage - Jun 16, 2011
- Powerful earthquake strikes west of Vanuatu, no tsunami alert - Feb 02, 2012
- Strong 6.4-magnitude earthquake jolts the Pacific Ocean near Tonga - Sep 23, 2011
- Strong earthquake prompts brief tsunami warning in Alaska - Sep 02, 2011
- Strong earthquake hits the South Pacific Ocean, east of Vanuatu - Jul 31, 2011
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no damage - Aug 20, 2012
- Powerful earthquake strikes the Solomon Islands, no tsunami alert - Apr 23, 2011
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no tsunami warning - May 16, 2011
Tags: 5 kilometers, arctic ocean, bno, central greenland, earthquake hits, earthquakes, glaciers, jan mayen, magnitude earthquake, norwegian island, saturday morning, seismologist, seismologists, shallow earthquake, tsunami alert, tsunami threat, united states geological, united states geological survey, usgs, volcanic island