Striking Sri Lankan Tamil in Canada hospitalisedApril 15th, 2009 - 11:56 am ICT by IANS
Ottawa, April 15 (IANS) A Sri Lankan Tamil protesting “genocide” against the community in the island nation was hospitalised even as his colleagues continued their hunger strike outside the Canadian parliament here.
Five Tamils went on a hunger strike opposite the House of Commons building April 7, seeking Ottawa’s intervention in the Sri Lankan conflict. While one woman protestor was hospitalised last Friday, paramedics took a Tamil man to hospital Tuesday as he complained of stomach sickness.
“Thirty-four-old James Jolues was taken to hospital by paramedics as he developed some complications. He is a diabetic and suffers from other medical problems,” Canadian Tamil Congress leader David Poopalapillai told IANS.
However, he said the hunger strike will continue till the Canadian government listens to their demands.
The Sri Lankan Tamils, who have for weeks been staging huge rallies in Toronto and Ottawa, want Canada to seek Sri Lanka’s ouster from the Commonwealth, withdrawal of its high commissioner from Colombo and pressure to end its military campaign against the Tamil Tigers.
The striking Tamils were visited by the mayor of the Canadian capital Monday.
“The strikers were visited by the mayor and by thousands of Tamils from across this country. They want our voice to be heard by Canadian leaders,” said Poopalapillai.
However, there is hardly any Canadian leader to meet as parliament is recessed because of the Easter holidays.
The Ottawa hunger-strike is part of the Tamils’ joint global campaign to seek intervention in Sri Lanka.
Almost a third of the one million Sri Lankan Tamil diaspora live in Canada.
- Jayalalithaa hailed for raising plight of Sri Lankan Tamils - Jun 09, 2011
- Sri Lankan Tamils on hunger strike at Canadian parliament (With Image) - Apr 13, 2009
- Sri Lanka destroying statues of Tamil kings: Canadian Tamils - Dec 15, 2010
- Canadian Navy boards Tamil refugee ship, some expected to be LTTE members - Aug 13, 2010
- Canada urges LTTE to negotiate, Tamils to converge on parliament - Apr 21, 2009
- Canadian Tamil Congress sues global terror expert - Jul 13, 2011
- Tamils to march on Canada's parliament, stage candlelight vigils - Feb 04, 2009
- International conflict prevention group calls for probe into Sri Lanka's 'war-crimes' - May 18, 2010
- Tamils want refugee centre in SE Asia to stop human smuggling - Nov 05, 2010
- Canadians join in as Tamils take to streets again - May 10, 2009
- Canadian Tamils support former Sri Lankan army chief - Oct 09, 2010
- Tamil diaspora marks Sri Lanka independence day as black day - Feb 05, 2011
- MV Sun Sea migrants' information stolen from Tamil group's Toronto office - Sep 13, 2010
- 40,000 Tamils protest at Canadian parliament - Apr 22, 2009
- Tamil community to observe 'black days' to mark war anniversary - May 08, 2010
Tags: canadian leader, canadian leaders, canadian parliament, canadian tamil congress, congress leader, easter holidays, global campaign, hospitalised, hunger strike, island nation, military campaign, ouster, paramedics, protestor, sri lankan conflict, sri lankan tamil, sri lankan tamils, stomach sickness, tamil man, tamil tigers