Strike cause Eiffel Tower to shut downApril 10th, 2009 - 8:56 pm ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
On Wednesday, the Eiffel Tower was closed because the employees went on a strike demanding for better work conditions and security at one of the world’s most visited tourist sites.
Ticket offices at the Paris landmark were shut and staff were seen handing out leaflets in English, French and Spanish that said they were seeking improvements to visitor services and job security for staff.
Designed by Gustave Eiffel, the 120-year-old tower last year broke a new record with some 6.93 million visitors.
The Eiffel Tower’s SETE managing company, whose biggest shareholder is the city of Paris, declined to comment on the strike
- Man jumps to death from Eiffel Tower - Jun 25, 2012
- Eiffel Tower evacuated over bomb scare - Dec 10, 2011
- London more attractive city to visitors than Paris, say the French - Nov 19, 2010
- Tourists Evacuate Eiffel Tower After A Bomb Scare - Sep 15, 2010
- Eiffel Tower reopens after bomb threat - Sep 15, 2010
- Bieber, Gomez's penthouse date - Nov 12, 2011
- Eiffel Tower evacuated after bomb scare - Sep 15, 2010
- Police Reveal Eiffel Tower Bomb Scare Was A False Alarm - Sep 15, 2010
- Record 300,000 Indians visit Paris - Feb 29, 2012
- Eiffel Tower and Champ de Mars Evacuated Due to Bomb Threat - Sep 15, 2010
- Eiffel Tower evacuated after bomb threat - Sep 29, 2010
- Eiffel Tower turns 120 - Apr 01, 2009
- Reclining Eiffel Tower - a symbol of German industrial history (With Images) - Jul 06, 2011
- Thousands evacuated from the Eiffel Tower and Champ de Mars over bomb threat - Sep 15, 2010
- Tens of thousands evacuated from the Eiffel Tower and Champ de Mars over bomb threat - Sep 15, 2010