Stress playing havoc on sexual relationshipsNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:46 am ICT by admin
The pharmaceutical company Novo Nordisk UK in collaboration with Relate carried out a survey of 2,037 over-16s.
In the survey, 50 percent people reported stress or medical issues had affected their sex lives with loss of libido or discomfort the biggest problems.
However, three in five admitted to struggling when it came to discussing their personal problems.
Denise Knowles, a relationship counsellor with Relate, said: “This research really emphasises the extent to which sexual problems, including stress, take on a bigger significance within the relationship.
“I have worked with many couples who are so embarrassed about intimate health complaints that it has caused a huge breakdown in communication and put serious pressure on the relationship. Talking to a partner or a professional candidly about the issue is not easy, but it may save a great deal of emotional strain,” Knowles added.
In the survey, it was found that women aged over 55 were most susceptible to sexual health problems. Seven out of ten in this group reported that their age had left them suspecting their partner found them unattractive.
Less than half of the respondents reported that they regularly discussed their sex lives.
Dr Annie Evans, a women’s health specialist at Nuffield Hospital in Bristol, said: “Sometimes it’s easier to ignore sexually-related health problems than to address them.
“However, it’s important to seek advice and help, as many treatments are available.
“By ignoring physical symptoms, both men and women leave themselves at risk of the problems becoming more serious and less easy to put right,” Dr. Evans added. (ANI)
- Half of Brit women avoid sex because of their weight - Mar 12, 2011
- Top 9 sex-related myths busted - Dec 10, 2010
- Three-quarters of French couples have miserable sex lives - Sep 11, 2010
- Lust for mega-profits fuels drive for female viagra - Sep 28, 2010
- Antidepressants, birth control pills blamed for low libido in women - Apr 23, 2010
- Pharma companies 'medicalising' low-libido to boost sales of female 'Viagra' - Oct 01, 2010
- Top 10 most common sex myths revealed - May 31, 2010
- Cuddle chemical boosts flagging male libido - Apr 09, 2012
- We've poor sex lives, admit French couples - Sep 11, 2010
- Denmark keen to partner India in quality health care - Jun 24, 2011
- We have poor sex lives, say French couples (Lead) - Sep 11, 2010
- Men too 'suffer psychological trauma from partner abuse' - Apr 08, 2011
- Recession-hit Brit men facing sex problems - Nov 19, 2010
- Doctors 'should quiz patients about sexual life' - Sep 25, 2010
- Find Out How Healthy Your Sex Life Is - Jan 08, 2011
Tags: annie evans, dr evans, embarrassed, emotional strain, financial worries, health complaints, health specialist, loss of libido, novo nordisk, nuffield hospital, relationship counsellor, reported that their, reported that they, sex lives, sexual health problems, sexual problems, sexual relationships, sexually related health, stress, worked with many