Strauss-Kahn now a suspect in prostitution ringFebruary 21st, 2012 - 7:09 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 21 (IANS) Dominique Strauss-Kahn, former head of the International Monetary Fund (IMF), is being questioned by French police as a suspect in a prostitution ring inquiry, a prosecutor has said.
Strauss-Kahn, once a front-runner for the French presidency, is being held in custody at a police station in Lille, northern France, the BBC reported Tuesday.
Police have questioned a number of prostitutes who have admitted having sex with Strauss-Kahn. But he insists he did not know that those women were prostitutes.
“I challenge you to distinguish a naked prostitute from any other naked woman,” Strauss-Kahn’s lawyer Henri Leclerc told French television.
In May 2011, Strauss-Kahn resigned as head of the IMF after he was charged in New York with attempted rape of a hotel maid. The case was later dropped.
French police, in this separate inquiry, have already arrested eight people over suspicion of organising a prostitution ring and misusing corporate funds to pay for sex.
Three of the suspects were said to have been close to Strauss-Kahn, who is said to have participated in sex parties in Paris and Washington in late 2010 and early 2011.
According to French media, he could be held by police for up to 48 hours.
- French police detain former IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn - Feb 23, 2012
- Strauss-Kahn charged in prostitution case - Mar 27, 2012
- Former IMF chief faces gang rape allegations - May 21, 2012
- Ex-IMF chief quizzed over suspected prostitution ring - Feb 22, 2012
- Strauss-Kahn blames Sarkozy for destroying his bid - Apr 28, 2012
- Normal for me to have sex at orgies: Strauss-Kahn - May 01, 2012
- IMF chief Strauss-Kahn arrested for alleged sexual assault (Lead) - May 15, 2011
- Strauss-Kahn returns home after sex assault case - Sep 04, 2011
- Ex-IMF chief sues French writer for rape bid allegation - Jul 13, 2011
- IMF chief to defend himself against sex charges - May 16, 2011
- IMF ex-chief hired prostitutes, claims madame - May 19, 2011
- Strauss-Kahn files countercharge against hotel maid - May 16, 2012
- Strauss-Kahn admits moral fault in sex scandal - Sep 19, 2011
- Former IMF chief jeered at Cambridge varsity - Mar 10, 2012
- Strauss Kahn rape case delayed again - Jul 27, 2011
Tags: dominique strauss kahn, french media, french police, french presidency, french television, having sex, hotel maid, international monetary fund, international monetary fund imf, leclerc, lille, london feb, naked woman, northern france, police station, prosecutor, prostitutes, prostitution ring, sex parties, those women