Strauss-Kahn charged in prostitution caseMarch 27th, 2012 - 2:15 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, March 27 (IANS/RIA Novosti) French investigators have charged Dominique Strauss-Kahn, the former head of the International Monetary Fund (IMF), with alleged involvement in a French prostitution ring, a statement from the prosecutor’s office in Lille said.
Strauss-Kahn was questioned at a prosecutor’s office in the northern city of Lille Monday. He is under investigation over the so-called Carlton Affair for his alleged involvement of organizing orgies with prostitutes, most of which were held in French Carlton hotel. He is also suspected in similar events organized in Washington and Brussels.
The statement said that after the questioning, Strauss-Kahn was placed under judicial supervision. He was prohibited from contacting other people involved in the case and had to pay 100,000 euros in bail.
If the 62-year-old former IMF head is found guilty on charges pressed against him, he may face up to 20 years in prison.
In 2011, Strauss-Kahn, who was considered French President Nicolas Sarkozy’s greatest rival at the upcoming presidential elections scheduled for this month, was under investigation for sexual assault on a hotel maid in New York.
The case was opened on May 14 after 32-year-old Nafissatou Diallo claimed Strauss-Kahn had assaulted her sexually at the Sofitel New York Hotel. Strauss-Kahn pleaded not guilty and said sexual contact with the maid was under mutual consent.
- Strauss-Kahn blames Sarkozy for destroying his bid - Apr 28, 2012
- IMF ex-head Strauss-Kahn pleads not guilty - Jun 06, 2011
- Strauss-Kahn accuser files civil lawsuit - Aug 09, 2011
- Maid sues Strauss-Kahn over hotel encounter - Aug 09, 2011
- Strauss-Kahn files countercharge against hotel maid - May 16, 2012
- Strauss-Kahn returns home after sex assault case - Sep 04, 2011
- Former IMF chief faces gang rape allegations - May 21, 2012
- Prosecutors move to drop charges against Strauss-Kahn - Aug 23, 2011
- Strauss-Kahn free to return to France - Aug 24, 2011
- Strauss-Kahn now a suspect in prostitution ring - Feb 21, 2012
- Hotel maid speaks of attack by former IMF chief - Jul 25, 2011
- Strauss-Kahn bedded three women the weekend he 'assaulted' maid? - Jul 17, 2011
- IMF head charged over alleged sex assault (Second Lead) - May 15, 2011
- Former IMF chief granted bail in sexual assault case (Lead) - May 20, 2011
- Former IMF chief gets bail, placed under home detention - May 20, 2011
Tags: diallo, dominique strauss kahn, french investigators, french president nicolas, french president nicolas sarkozy, hotel maid, international monetary fund, international monetary fund imf, judicial supervision, mutual consent, new york hotel, nicolas sarkozy, paris march, president nicolas sarkozy, presidential elections, prostitution ring, ria novosti, sexual contact, sofitel new york, sofitel new york hotel