Storm batters eastern Philippines, 12 dead, 15 missing (Lead)May 3rd, 2009 - 10:15 pm ICT by IANS
Manila, May 3 (DPA) At least 12 people were killed and 15 others were missing in landslides and floods triggered by a storm battering the eastern Philippines, the Office of Civil Defence (OCD) said Sunday.
Seven of the fatalities were buried in mud and debris when the side of a hill collapsed on a village in Magallanes town in Sorsogon province, 375 km south of Manila.
The OCD said 15 people were missing in the landslide in Magallanes. Rescuers were continuing to search for victims, but bad weather was hampering operations.
A 61-year-old mother and her 28-year-old daughter were electrocuted when flood waters entered their house Sunday morning in Nabua town in nearby Camarines Sur province.
Three other people were killed in floods in the provinces of Camarines Norte and Quezon, authorities said.
More than 13,000 people have been affected by the storm, while more than 4,400 passengers were stranded in seaports after the coast guard suspended all ship travel, the OCD said.
Landslides were reported in other towns of Sorsogon, while electricity was cut off in some areas affected by the storm, the OCD said.
The weather bureau said the storm, dubbed Kujira, has strengthened as it moved east at a speed of around seven kilometres per hour (kph).
Kujira packed maximum sustained winds of 95 kph and gusts of up to 120 kph. Storm signals were up in seven eastern provinces.
- At least 10 killed as storm batters Philippines - May 03, 2009
- 16 dead as typhoon batters Philippines (Lead) - Jul 14, 2010
- 11 die in Philippines storm - Aug 08, 2012
- Typhoon hits Philippines, kills one - Oct 31, 2009
- Flashfloods displace 25,000 in the Philippines - Feb 20, 2012
- Typhoon Parma kills 17 in the Philippines - Oct 04, 2009
- Ahead of typhoon, Philippines placed under 'state of calamity' (Lead) - Oct 02, 2009
- Four dead as Typhoon Conson batters Philippines - Jul 14, 2010
- Hundreds flee their homes amid storm in Philippines - Sep 26, 2009
- At least 11 missing as tropical storm 'Falcon' hits Philippines - Jun 24, 2011
- Tropical storm kills 80 in the Philippines (Lead) - Sep 27, 2009
- Typhoon batters northern Philippines - Oct 03, 2009
- 113 dead in Philippine landslides, floods (Lead) - Oct 09, 2009
- 18 dead as typhoon Chan-Hom hits Philippines (Lead) - May 08, 2009
- Philippines storm death toll nears 100 (Second Lead) - Sep 27, 2009
Tags: bad weather, camarines norte, civil defence, eastern provinces, flood waters, floods, gusts, kilometres, landslide, landslides, maximum sustained winds, ocd, old mother, rescuers, seaports, ship travel, sorsogon province, storm batters, storm signals, weather bureau