Stop and search of UK Asians rose 84 percent in 2006November 14th, 2007 - 8:09 am ICT by admin
According to the data compiled, Blacks in Britain were stopped and searched seven times more than whites in 2006.The rate was even more disproportionate than the previous year, when it stood at six times more likely.
The ministry data also claims that Asians were about twice as likely to be stopped and searched - about the same as the previous year.
The increase in the number of stops on ethnic minorities was partlyxplained by the police response to the July 7 bombings, the report said.
There were 878,153 stops and searches recorded by police in the year, up three percent on the previous 12 months.
Most of this rise was due to an extra 14,000 black people being targeted by stop and search - a 12 percent rise - and a 14 percent increase in the number of Asians targeted, it said.
However, a separate document also published by the Government on Tuesday gave the number of stops and searches under anti-terror powers as just over 50,000, rather than the 44,500 given in the first publication.
It revealed that those 50,000 stops led to just 563 arrests. (ANI)
- Food inflation declines to 9.03 percent - Aug 18, 2011
- British government curtails 'stop-and-search' powers - Jul 09, 2010
- Deficient rainfall data wipes out intra-day gains of Sensex (Roundup) - Jul 14, 2011
- Police stop, search innocent people to balance race figures - Jun 18, 2009
- India food inflation edging close to double-digit - Aug 11, 2011
- US AIDS cases stable at 50,000 per year - Aug 05, 2011
- UK police trebled stop and search of Muslims in 2008 - May 01, 2009
- Racial profiling undermining moral authority of democracy in UK: Jesse Jackson - Oct 18, 2010
- Mexico has 190 mn tourists in 2011 - Feb 14, 2012
- Mahindra and Mahindra's Q4 net up 44.17 percent - May 30, 2012
- Chola MS targets Rs.2,500 crore premium by 2014-15 - Sep 03, 2012
- Sensex continues 5-week rally, closes 102 points higher (Roundup) - Feb 06, 2012
- Sensex pares some losses, closes 148 points down - Oct 20, 2011
- Indian Americans grow to 3.2 mn, top in income - Nov 16, 2011
- Suicide terrorism on the rise: US study - Jan 30, 2011
Tags: 12 months, bombings, daily express, disproportionate, ethnic minorities, measures, ministry data, police response, previous year, rose, seven times, six times, terror, times more likely, uk asians