Stephen Hawking joining Canadian instituteNovember 29th, 2008 - 9:30 am ICT by IANS
Toronto, Nov 29 (IANS) Stephen Hawking, the world’s best known physicist, has been named a “distinguished research chair” at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Canada’s University of Waterloo.The physicist, who is the Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at Cambridge University, a position once held by Isaac Newton, will spend part of his time in Waterloo, a university statement said Friday.
Perimeter Institute director Neil Turok said: “The appointment marks a new phase in our recruitment that will see leading scientists from around the world establish a second research home at Perimeter Institute.”
Turok said he was delighted that Stephen has agreed to accept “the first of a projected 40 such visiting Chairs” by the institute.
“We look forward to hosting Stephen, to benefiting from his wise mentorship and guidance which has been so successful in Cambridge, and to the many stimulating scientific collaborations which will undoubtedly emerge,” he said.
“I am honoured to accept the first Distinguished Research Chair at the Perimeter Institute,” the wheelchair-bound Hawking was quoted as saying in the university statement.
“The Institute’s twin focus, on quantum theory and gravity, is very close to my heart and central to explaining the origin of the universe. I look forward to building a growing partnership between PI and our Centre for Theoretical Cosmology, at Cambridge.
“Our research endeavour is global, and by combining forces I believe we will reap rich rewards,” said the author of “A Brief History of Time”.
The Perimeter Institute of Theoretical Physics has been set up by BlackBerry makers Research In Motion (RIM) in Waterloo near here.
- Stephen Hawking joins institute set up by BlackBerry - Jun 09, 2010
- Stephen Hawking joins Canada's Perimeter Institute (Lead) - Jun 09, 2010
- British scientist Stephen Hawking 'very ill' in hospital - Apr 20, 2009
- Stephen Hawking set for 'full recovery' after hospital tests - Apr 21, 2009
- Stephen Hawking not shifting to Canada - Jul 17, 2008
- Michael Green named as Stephen Hawking's successor at Cambridge University - Oct 21, 2009
- Stephen Hawking to retire as Cambridges Professor of Mathematics next year - Oct 24, 2008
- Stephen Hawking to give up Cambridge chair - Oct 24, 2008
- BlackBerry co-founders knocked off billionaires' list - Jun 24, 2011
- Hawking at Paralympics? - Aug 26, 2012
- 'God did not create the universe' - Sep 02, 2010
- Indian-American engineer-physicist named US varsity VC (With Images) - Jun 19, 2012
- 'Oxford, India collaborating on particle, cancer research' - Mar 22, 2012
- 15-year-old is youngest Cambridge student in over 200 years - Sep 03, 2010
- PM's 'chair' offered to Cambridge professor - May 20, 2012
Tags: brief history of time, lucasian professor of mathematics, lucasian professor of mathematics at cambridge, origin of the universe, perimeter institute for theoretical physics, quantum theory, research endeavour, rich rewards, theoretical cosmology, university of waterloo