Steel rods help 8-year-old relive ballerina dreamJune 7th, 2009 - 4:18 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 7 (ANI): An eight-year-old girl returned to chase her ballet dreams after having steel rods screwed into her spine.
Little Billie Stanton, of Northampton, underwent a risky eight-hour surgery after being diagnosed with crippling curvature of the spine.
The ordeal began when her parents observed one of her shoulders was higher than the other and took her to a doctor who ordered X-rays.
The family was left in shock after being told of Billie’s condition, scoliosis, which can occur in kids between nine and 14.
“They told us she needed her spine straightened or she would be crippled,” the News of the World quoted mum Lisa as saying.
But all the brave youngster “was worried about was not being able to dance”.
And just twelve weeks after the surgery, during which two adjustable steel rods were pinned to her spine, Billie was back on her toes to dance again.
Lisa added: “When Billie came round she couldn’t wait to ask the doctors when she could dance again.”
She continued: “She is already starting to stand straighter and when I see her on stage I’m just so proud of her. Billie shows anything is possible if you try hard enough.” (ANI)
- Some patients with cerebral palsy have asymmetric pelvic bones: Study - Mar 10, 2011
- Dame Elizabeth Taylor refuses to undergo vital surgery - Mar 29, 2010
- Girl in coma wakes up hearing mom sing - Jun 19, 2012
- Indian surgeons help Nigerian woman back on her feet - Sep 05, 2011
- Canadian woman survives being cut in half to beat 'untreatable' bone cancer - Sep 23, 2010
- Elizabeth Taylor refuses further surgery - Mar 29, 2010
- Kelly Osbourne putting off surgery - Feb 16, 2011
- Zeta-Jones too lazy to exercise - Jun 11, 2012
- Bonham Carter lazy to wed - May 05, 2012
- Vitamin D pills advised for under-fives to avoid rickets - Jan 27, 2011
- Class 3 tribal girl branded with iron rods in hostel - Jan 12, 2011
- Injured Israeli diplomat's wife stable - Feb 14, 2012
- Saldana finds ballet difficult - Apr 28, 2012
- Injured Israeli woman leaves hospital - Feb 17, 2012
- How the brain compresses visual info - Feb 11, 2011
Tags: ballerina, ballet, curvature of the spine, doctor who, doctors, dreams, little billie, news of the world, northampton, old girl, ordeal, parents, scoliosis, shock, shoulders, stanton, steel rods, toes, x rays, youngster