Statue of Liberty will open for the public again on July 4thMarch 25th, 2009 - 2:55 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Mar.25 (ANI): The Statue of Liberty, which has been closed to visitors sine the 9/11 attacks in 2001, will be open to the public again from July 4, 2009.
The New York Daily News quoted Interior Secretary Ken Salazar as saying on Tuesday that: “We will endeavour to do everything we can” to have the Statue of Liberty and its thrilling spiral staircase climb to her crown open to the public by America’’s 233rd birthday - the first time since the Sept. 11 attacks.
Salazar said his department, which controls the landmark, is considering implementing a ticketing or lottery system to allow small groups of people to enter the crown at specific times, similar to crowd control and safety procedures at the Washington Monument on the National Mall.
Salazar’’s announcement followed a drumbeat of 23 Daily News editorials over six years urging the crown be re-opened to the public.
But before the plan can go forward, Lady Liberty has to clear one final safety check - a hurdle Salazar anticipates the monument will clear.
He is awaiting an April 15 security assessment, which will lay out options on how to proceed.
Salazar said there were still safety concerns about having crowds on the spiral staircase in case of an emergency, but suggested that having only small groups in the crown at any one moment could minimize risk. (ANI)
- Statue of Liberty crown to reopen to tourists on July 4 - May 09, 2009
- Lady Liberty statue reopened to freedom tourists - Jul 04, 2009
- No more than 5 minutes for visitors in Statue of Liberty's crown - May 11, 2009
- Obama Administration likely to reopen Statue of Liberty crown for public - Jan 24, 2009
- The Statue of Liberty Crown Reopens on 4th of July - May 09, 2009
- New security plan for visitors to New York's Statue of Liberty delayed - Feb 17, 2011
- Pakistan army faces militancy problem: Daily - Aug 17, 2012
- `Scale of Pakistan's power outage certain to rouse anger' - Jul 06, 2011
- US may allow FBI to tap e-mails, websites - Sep 28, 2010
- Poland to build world's largest Jesus Christ statue to attract tourist - Oct 19, 2010
- Lady Liberty Needs Renovation - Dec 24, 2010
- HRW urges Mexican authorities to protect activists in Juarez - Feb 24, 2011
- Statue of Liberty to be closed for security upgrade - Aug 10, 2010
- 9/11 memorial to need $60 mn a year to run - Sep 10, 2012
- Lady Gaga transforms into risque Lady Liberty for V Magazine cover - Sep 02, 2010
Tags: 9 11 attacks, crowd control, crowds, drumbeat, endeavour, hurdle, interior secretary, ken salazar, lady liberty, lottery system, new york daily news, safety concerns, safety procedures, security assessment, sept 11 attacks, small groups, spiral staircase, statue of liberty, washington monument, york daily news