Statistics can help avoid buying fake goods onlineMarch 20th, 2011 - 4:58 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, March 20 (IANS) Consumers need to know the pitfalls of buying artwork or luxury goods online, say statisticians.
Currently, online auction site operators are not required to guarantee the authenticity of the items listed.
A study shows that statistical methods used in evaluating the accuracy of medical screening tests can be successfully applied to assess the misrepresentation of such items, the statistics journal Significance reports.
For consumer protection agencies, this is a significant step forward in enabling them to monitor the authenticity of objects offered for online sale, according to a George Washington University statement.
The results also indicate that the laws on misrepresentation of items for online sale need to be strengthened to protect the public, says lead author Joseph L. Gastwirth, professor of statistics and economics at George Washington.
The accuracy of the descriptions of artwork by Henry Moore offered on eBay were examined over a period of 18 months.
Two expert evaluators classified the artworks independently, with a third evaluator collecting the data and sending it to them separately.
The results showed that over 80 percent of the small sculptures and drawings indicated by eBay sellers as by Henry Moore were in fact not genuine, while over 90 percent of the signed prints were genuine.
- Statistical methods 'can help us avoid counterfeit goods on Internet' - Mar 14, 2011
- eBay bans sale of 'magic spells' - Aug 18, 2012
- Online deals trip you into risky decisions - Nov 02, 2011
- FIEO ties up with eBay, PayPal to boost exports - Apr 12, 2012
- eBay removes Anna Nicole Smith' used lingerie auction - May 20, 2010
- eBay communities make participants better buyers and sellers: Study - Dec 18, 2010
- Chinese relics illegally sold online - Mar 21, 2011
- Online millionaires on the rise, says eBay - Aug 22, 2010
- 'Bacon Kevin Bacon' bust up for auction on eBay - Oct 03, 2010
- Coal piece from Titanic auctioned - Jan 29, 2012
- Ashton Kutcher's 'mistress' puts his 'morning after' sweater on sale - Dec 21, 2010
- EBay Bans Spells and Potions - Aug 31, 2012
- Obama's Chrysler 300 up for sale - Jan 27, 2012
- eBay registers its first car purchase in India - Sep 16, 2010
- US mom tries to sell baby naming rights for fifth time on eBay! - Aug 19, 2009
Tags: artwork, artworks, auction site, authenticity, consumer protection agencies, drawings, ebay, ebay sellers, evaluator, george washington, george washington university, henry moore, joseph l gastwirth, luxury goods, medical screening tests, misrepresentation, pitfalls, sculptures, statistical methods, statisticians