Sridhar, Nehwal lead India’s challenge in Singapore badmintonMay 13th, 2008 - 8:23 pm ICT by admin
Singapore, May 13 (IANS) Ace Indian shuttler Anup Sridhar and National Champion Saina Nehwal will spearhead India’s challenge at the $200,000 Aviva Open Singapore badminton tournament to be held here June 10-15. Both Sridhar and Nehwal will be participating in the men and women singles category of the Super Series event, which has attracted more than 200 entries from all over the world.
Peter Hoeg Gade of Denmark, Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia, Malaysian Lee Chong Wei and Wong Choon Han, Chinese Xie Zhongbo and Guo Zhendong and Thailand’s Boonsak Ponsana are the heavyweights in the men’s field, while England’s Tracey Hallam, Petya Nedelcheva of Bulgaria, Denmark’s Tine Rasmussen, Pi Hongyan of France and Malaysia’s Wong Mew Choo are the strong contenders in the women’s section.
Both Sridhar and Nehwal have qualified for the Olympics and will be hoping to assess their performance at the event ahead of the Beijing Games.
Commenting on the tournament, chief executive officer of the hosts Singapore Badminton Association, Kelvin Ng said: “The Aviva Open Singapore 2008 badminton tournament will host one of the strongest line-up packed with Olympic qualifiers and top talent from around the world.”
- Saina top seed in India Super Series badminton - Apr 09, 2011
- Sridhar, Saina advance to Singapore Open quarterfinals - Jun 11, 2009
- Kashyap upsets Boonsak to sail into quarters in Denmark - Oct 29, 2010
- India Open Super Series: Sourabh, Sai Datt keep India's hopes alive (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- Saina in quarterfinals of Indonesia Open - Jun 23, 2011
- Saina beats world champion Lu Lan to make Singapore Open final - Jun 19, 2010
- Saina, Sridhar bow out in Singapore Open quarters - Jun 13, 2009
- India Open Super Series: Saina makes a tearful first round exit (Roundup) - Apr 27, 2011
- India Open Super Series: Saina makes shock first round exit (Second Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- Saina, Jwala-Diju join semifinals of World Series Masters - Dec 04, 2009
- Saina confident of making a mark in Indian Open - Apr 25, 2011
- Lin Dan to lead China's challenge in Thomas Cup - May 18, 2012
- India Open Super Series: Gurusai Datt pulls off second upset of day (Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- Wang Shixian left out Chinese Olympic badminton squad - Jul 11, 2012
- World Badmintion: Danes stun South Koreans in mixed doubles semis - Aug 15, 2009
Tags: anup sridhar, aviva, aviva open singapore, badminton tournament, boonsak ponsana, chief executive officer, gade, heavyweights, kelvin ng, lee chong wei, national champion, olympic qualifiers, peter hoeg, petya, pi hongyan, saina nehwal, singapore badminton association, taufik hidayat, tracey hallam, wong choon han