Sri Lankan Tamil magistrate wins US awardMarch 26th, 2009 - 5:48 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, March 26 (IANS) A Sri Lankan Tamil magistrate has won “Women of Courage” award from the US State Department for demonstrating “exceptional courage and leadership” in the region, the US embassy said Thursday.
US ambassador Robert Blake recognised Magistrate Srinithy Nandasekaran “as a South Asian regional finalist for the secretary of state’s Women of Courage award”, it said.
US embassies around the world annually select outstanding women leaders to receive “Women of Courage” recognition. For this year they have nominated over 80 exceptional women for their extraordinary work in areas such as advancing human rights and advocating women’s issues.
“Throughout her career as an attorney and magistrate, Srinithy has shown exemplary commitment and courage in the dispensation of justice to Sri Lankans of all ethnic groups, often while serving in the country’s most difficult conflict-torn areas,” Blake said Wednesday.
Blake has made a special mention on Nandasekeran’s “tireless efforts on behalf of Sri Lanka’s children”.
- Two top US officials visit South Asia - Feb 07, 2012
- Punish the war guilty, US tells Sri Lanka - Sep 14, 2012
- Krishna visits IPKF martyrs memorial in Lanka - Jan 17, 2012
- Chinese fishermen detained in Sri Lanka released - Aug 07, 2012
- Blake to head US delegation at SAARC - Nov 08, 2011
- New US envoy presents credentials to Rajapaksa - Sep 14, 2012
- Some Sri Lankan TV actresses in prostitution ring - Jul 26, 2011
- US denies Special Forces are in Sri Lanka - Mar 03, 2012
- ICC may allow local match officials in Pakistan - Mar 07, 2012
- US official discusses northeast development - Dec 11, 2009
- Gulf company to celebrate rise of Asia at New Delhi gala - Sep 21, 2011
- Gulf company to celebrate rise of Asia at Delhi gala - Oct 02, 2011
- US campaigns against fake drugs in Sri Lanka - Oct 15, 2010
- US favours independent probe in Maldives - Feb 14, 2012
- Jaffna festival to promote reconciliation - Mar 23, 2011
Tags: advancing human rights, ambassador, conflict, courage award, dispensation, embassies, leadership, magistrate, regional finalist, robert blake, secretary of state, sri lanka, sri lankan tamil, sri lankans, tireless efforts, us embassy, us state department, women leaders, women of courage