Sri Lankan refugees return from IndiaOctober 12th, 2011 - 5:05 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Oct 12 (IANS) A group of Sri Lankan Tamil refugees returned from India by boat Wednesday, becoming the first case of repatriation to the island nation by sea, the UN agency said.
Jennifer Pagonis, deputy permanent representative of the UN High Commission for Refugees in Sri Lanka, told Xinhua that 37 people from 15 families returned to Colombo on a commercial ferry.
The refugees left Tuticorin in India’s Tamil Nadu state, which is separated from northern Sri Lanka by a strip of sea.
“They are all from the north and east of Sri Lanka. They are being processed by immigration officials and will be sent home,” said Pagonis.
The group’s arrival is the first repatriation of Sri Lankan refugees in India by sea, the UN agency said.
According to the Indian government, 69,000 Sri Lankan refugees still live in 112 camps in Tamil Nadu.
In May 2009, the long conflict between Sri Lankan forces and the Tamil Tigers ended.
In the final phase of the war, about 276,000 people were displaced, with the many fleeing to India, UNHCR said.
Since then, many Sri Lankans have returned to their homes, but there are still a significant number awaiting repatriation. According to the UNHCR, over 1,400 refugees have returned this year, compared to 2,054 last year.
- Jayalalithaa asks PM to suspend ferry service to Colombo - Jun 14, 2011
- Ferry service between Tuticorin-Colombo flagged off - Jun 13, 2011
- Sri Lankan Tamils must live dignified lives: Jayalalithaa - Jun 14, 2011
- 150,000 Afghan refugees to leave Pakistan - Jun 18, 2012
- Indian prisoners in Colombo feel betrayed by Delhi - Mar 15, 2012
- Sri Lanka, India discuss travel advisory - Sep 13, 2012
- Karunanidhi seeks UN solution for Sri Lankan Tamils - Aug 21, 2012
- Do not train Sri Lankans: Jayalalithaa, Karunanidhi (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Sri Lanka issues travel warning for southern India - Sep 04, 2012
- India, Sri Lanka to jointly develop fisheries - Jan 15, 2012
- Curtail visits by Sri Lankan dignitaries: Jayalalithaa - Mar 07, 2012
- Send back Sri Lankan defence personnel: Jayalalithaa - Jul 16, 2012
- Travel advisory: India assures safety to visiting Sri Lankans (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Rajapaksa wants to discuss targeting of Sri Lankans with India - Sep 07, 2012
- Pakistan repatriates over 3.7 mn Afghan refugees - Jan 04, 2012
Tags: colombo, commercial ferry, final phase, immigration officials, indian government, island nation, many sri lankans, northern sri lanka, pagonis, refugees in india, repatriation, sri lankan forces, sri lankan tamil, tamil nadu state, tamil refugees, tamil tigers, un agency, un high commission for refugees, unhcr, xinhua